Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended basepad differences?

Nimitz

So I've decided to get a 170mm mag for my new STI Steelmaster which I bought for Steel Challenge and shoot open minor once in a while with it. In looking at the extended base pads, what if any, is the difference between the Grahams and Dawson Precision ones? Is one really "better" than the other?

Hello: What about Dawson, Grams, TTI, STI, SVI, Double Alpha etc. Have a look at the them all then decide which one you like the best and fits the gauge. For steel challenge you will want 5 mags. The 140mm ones I like better and they are cheaper. Thanks, Eric

I run a 2.5mm Grams basepad on one of my 170's while the other 170 has a Dawson on it. Both fit the gauge. My preference is the Grams because of two things. First is the free replacement policy and second is the U clip. I have had Dawson's that get dirt in the release gate and were a PIA to release.

I dislike any basepad that does not drop down off of the tube and thus does not go on by pushing it up to the tube. The basepads that slide forward or backwards off the tube can be a royal PIA due to the fact that the mag spring sits down into the well of the basepad and jams up the removal. The deeper the basepad (5mm, 7mm, 11mm) the harder it is to remove as the spring sits into the deeper well and is harder to pry upwards to allow the basepad to slide forward.

With the Dawson and Grams, the basepad well could be a foot deep and the basepad will still drop downward and off easily.

Pat

Hello: I am not Pat but know him--good guy. If you are using a STI tube the Grams and Dawson guts both work well. I like the ISMI spring you can use with the Dawson better, since it lasts a very long time. I have tried the Bolen follower now TTI and it falls over causing a salt shaker. If you are using a SVI tube I would use either the TTI or the Dawson but the Dawson follower will have to be modified. Pat does have a good point about the Grams but the Dawsons hold up a bit better on rocky ground. Thanks, Eric

I have used Grams, Dawson and Bolen ( now TTI. ) Grams may eventually crack but Beven will replace them. I have had a couple Dawson basepads crack where they meet the mag tube flange and one did a speed unload. Pretty funny for my squad, me not so much. Dawson replaced them. I have had one silver-finished (natural Al?) gall a bit but I have not seen much issue with dirt jamming the gate. I have had pins fall out of the Bolen/TTI pads. As Pat pointed out, the Bolen/TTI pads kind of pull on the spring when removing them but it isn't real horrible, Grams and Dawsons both just drop off. Nothing is perfect! If you are going to be shooting on concrete, metal pad may be better. Beven's stuff have lasted for many years of desert shooting so they are a fine choice also. I use Grams internals. I tried the Boelns stuff for the extra round but the spring life was not real good so I went back to Grams springs.

Later,

Chuck

If you have to smack your new Grams pad onto a mag, it's because the mag body is not squared up or "true"at the bottom. If you're lucky you can make that good-enough by running the mag body over Emory cloth on top of a very flat table surface. I failed to do this on my first Grams pad and all that force from jamming non-parallel mag bottoms into parallel slots in the pad is the reason why that pad cracked, luckily in practice. Never asked Beven for a refund because I knew it was my fault.

I like the Dawson pads too because once you buy the official mag gauge (just do it) it's easy to see where a few file swipes at the very back corner of your feed lips and a little off the back edge of the pad will let it fit the gauge. All my Limited and Open mags fit with over a millimeter to spare. The material removed is not enough to touch the back rim of the top ammo round on top and not enough to thin out the pad (at all) below the hollowed-out section on the bottom. SNL pads on SV 140 mags in Limited, non-SNL pads for Open.

Edited by eric nielsen

ok, so if I have this right I can go with a 2.5mm Grams basepad on my 170mm and get max capacity and still be open legal. then for the 140mm I assume I can go with the 11mm ones to get max capacity as well and still be legal?

ok, so if I have this right I can go with a 2.5mm Grams basepad on my 170mm and get max capacity and still be open legal. then for the 140mm I assume I can go with the 11mm ones to get max capacity as well and still be legal?

Give Beven a call. He will walk ya through it. My big sticks use a 4mm pad and they passed the gauge at Beven's shop. But my mags are old STI for Para so they may just be weird... Call him...

Later,

Chuck

PS: I have never brought anything other than a 140 mm mag to chrono at a major :rolleyes:

Edited by ChuckS

Hello: Some of the 4mm Grams will fit the gauge or you will have to use the 2.5mm Grams. The Dawson +1 will work or the SNL but check the gauge. Someone at your club should have one you can try the mags out on. The Grams 11mm on an unmodified STI tube will cause the follower to tip over and cause a salt shaker. Just use the 4mm base pads that may not fit on your 170mm tube. A 7mm base pad should work on the STI 140mm tube for open. Thanks, Eric

As you can see by Eric N's post, it ain't no cookie cutter world. Tubes, even from the same manufacturer can be a wee bit different in length. As Eric said, a few licks with a file can turn that tube/basepad combo into a legal gauge fitting combination. I have a small drawer full of various basepads as well as an EGW gauge. I try different combinations to find the best combination when tuning a mag. Some fit the gauge from the getgo and others need a bit of massaging with a file.

I have a couple of old SVI tubes that hold an easily reloadable 30 rounds of 38SC because of Eric D's dad's mill vise. Yeah, there's a story there.

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles