Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckmark mag pouches

Nimitz

Anyone know of mag pouches for the Buckmark similar to the rigid CR Speed Versa type pouches? Looking for a way to carry my mags on my belt for Steel Challenge matches now that I have a holster for my Buckmark ...

I have used a few options for buckmark mags over the years.

First option was a dedicated single stack 22lr, double mag pouch paddle from fobus. Holds the mags nice with retention, but has 2 drawbacks. Can't carry an empty mag since there is no "channel" in the pouch for the follower button to clear. Second, its a paddle which i don't prefer. You could graft on a techlok with minimal butchering if so inclined im sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Double-Pouch-Single-6922P/dp/B0018BLYSM

Next option is to use HSGI pistol mag TACO's. These will stretch to fit ANY pistol mag from a 22lr to .50 desert eagle. Retention is adjustable, pouches can be had single or doubles. The main drawback is they are mainly intended for MOLLE with MALICE clips, but i have used bladetech QD malice clips screwed to small Techlok's to make them QD on my belt. You can also use the bladetech QD malice clips with ELS if needed too. Tactical Tailor makes a sleeve that works with the included rubber malice clip to make it a simple belt loop but its not adjustable.

Last option is a new 22lr pouch that is linkable to others (not sure why thats needed. This overcome's the drawbacks of the Fobus not being able to carry an empty mag, but the belt rentention seems somewhat lacking. I suppose the linking feature will help stabilize them on the belt, but they are then in rather close proximity. Of course for steel challenge you're not reloading on the clock so merely having them handy might be enough.

http://www.tandemkross.com/Quick-Grip-22-Magazine-Pouches_p_117.html?avad=152411_c6f1f14f&utm_source=AvantLink

OF all the options above, the TACO's are the best holster, but its a little on the expensive side when adding a techlock or els attachment in lieu of a simple malice clip. IT can double to be spare holster for *anything* so it does earn points for versatility. I also use it for a barney mag holder.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the mag pouches from TandemKross, seems like they will work fine.

Mainly got them for our Outlaw Steel match, as one stage has a large number of plates requiring over 18 rds for the one and only string, plus the stage has a fair amount of movement. So having extra mags on your belt is a must.

During our Steel Challenge matches, prefer to leave the gun and mags in the bag until it's my turn to shoot. It's nice not having to lug all that junk around on my waist for the whole match.

Edited by jdphotoguy

just got mine as well and have designed a plate to mount 3 of them together on an ELS 34 fork. Prefect for Steel Challenge. Since I shoot both centerfire & rimfire at matches I have my belt on and being able to everything there in one place is really handy ... they are really nice mag pouches ....

Glad to hear its working out for you guys. How is the retention on the Tendemkross pouches? Are they far enough apart to facilitate reloading on the fly without grabbing too many mags?

There is a retention screw that should give you the retention you want.

As for how far apart they are, the pouches are designed to interconnect and that does place them close together. You could always not interlock them on the the belt and thus have whatever spacing you want.

That's what makes the Safariland competition ELS belt system so good. You simply buy one belt, position the ELS 35 frame clips on it and then no matter what equipment you need for a particular competition you just clip in the appropriate mag pouch, shell holder, holster , etc and in seconds you're geared up and ready. I shoot USPSA Production, Tac ops 3-gun, Steel Challenge open center fire and open rimfire all with just the one belt. And ther is no guessing about where to position equipment each time since everything goes back into exactly the same position.

I just don't like all the nylon, molle webbing military style products for competition use. I'd rather stick with the hard kydex type products. I also don't like flaps and covers on my equipment ...

Edited by Nimitz

You can take one of the magazine storage pouches and fold the flap back and have somebody sew a seam in it the width of your belt and just slide it on. You don't need to worry about any retention device because the magazines sit more than deep enough not to fall out.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...