Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags not dropping free

waktasz

On my new Stock 2 .40 the mags sometimes don't drop free. It happens because the top round in the mag is being dragged forward by the slide and dragging on the front inside of the frame. It doesn't happen every single time but it does happen with all or most of my mags.

Thoughts?

Mine does the exact same thing, just ordered a bunch of extra power mag springs to see if it holds them in place better. Should have the springs right after a match Saturday and before a match Sunday, will report back.

Good idea.

Thinking back, I don't think mine did this when I first got it, so maybe the mags are dirty or maybe with the 9 pound recoil spring and a bunch of rounds through it its not hitting the back of the top round hard enough to avoid stripping the one under it too? No idea. I'll clean everything up nice and shoot a match saturday and see what happens.

Personally I've never had this problem in 9 or 40, and I see the same thing in terms of the top round in the mag being dragged just a bit forward when the round above it gets stripped off. I've used only 180 Xtreme and 180 Montana Gold in .40. Both have a pretty short/flat nose.

Silicone spray to the mags/and or inside of the magwell makes everything VERY slippery. That could be one thing to try.

I'm using moly bullets and there is some crud there on the front of the inside of the frame where the bullet is dragging. I'll clean it and give it a wipe down with teh silicon cloth and see what happens. Thanks

Try polishing the bottom of the rail that is straight over where the round would be getting drug forward. I can't remember the name of that section but I want to say the disconnector rail. Polish it really well and that should help.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the +10% mag springs. They made it worse. The weird thing is the problem is not 100% repeatable. It does it randomly. Thankfully it so far has only appeared during practice and not matches, but it is frustrating that I can't fix it.

I have 10mm and 40 mags and they both do it. Interestingly, the 9mm mag I tried didn't. ha.

Prov1x has the answer. You need to polish the "ridge" piece in the middle of the underneath of the slide. That way it won't drag rounds forward.

It's a common problem and I know there are CZ posts about it (with pictures) - either on this forum or the cz owners forum.