Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI bullets and Titegroup

rgo1911

I just tried some 180 gr. black bullets and Titegroup powder. I tried several loads chronographing to get

the right power factor. I fired 30 rounds and when I went to clean the barrel I was shocked by how much

of the coating was left in the bore. Am I the only one with this issue. It took me an hour with some very harsh

chemicals to get my bore back to like it was prior to shooting. Velocities ran between 800 and 1000 fps. Could it be the Titegroup?

Could it be the Titegroup?

Nope. It's the bullet's coating. I had the same experience using other powders too and, 'yes', removing that coating from the rifling can be quite the challenge.

FWIW, I gave up on shooting BBI bullets in favor of FMJ's and the extra cost of jacketed bullets is (IMO) money well worth the extra expense.

Edited by Cy Soto

Are these the new version with the HI-TEK coating? Is there any chance you are shaving the coating somewhere in the reloading process? I have never had a problem with them and have used Titegroup in 9mm and .40 S&W without issue. Have you tried calling Chandler and asking him for some help with your issue? The customer service at BBI is outstanding.

Edited by dsa

Loading with Titegroup to over 180 power factor is likely the issue here. We discussed doing another test at a 171 PF to see if the issue goes away. I suspect it will but rest assured we will solve the problem no matter what it takes.

Titegroup is way too hot burning of a powder to use with coated bullets. N320, solo, and WST are the best option for coated bullets. In general coated bullets work fine with most powders, but Titegroup is just the worst powder for coated bullets because it burns so hot.

Edited by lucky #7

Titegroup is way too hot burning of a powder to use with coated bullets. N320, solo, and WST are very tolorant to many different powders. In general coated bullets work fine with most powders, but Titegroup is just the worst powder for coated bullets because it burns so hot.

I agree 100%, titegroup runs very hot and I would never run it with a coated bullet.