Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Failure

Had my first major (what I consider major) failure on my 650 Friday. The last couple of times loading 9Major I noticed I had a few primers flipping up on their edge before trying to seat them. Usually if I tighten my shell plate down a bit this takes care of it but in this case it wasn't working so I thought I probably had some crud built up between the platform and the shell plate since I hadn't changed calibers in a while so I proceeded to pull stuff apart for cleaning.

What I discovered was my 9mm shell plate was dimpling under where the case sits. In fact some had even started to crack. I looked at several other shell plates to see if they displayed the same flaws which they didn't.

I called Dillon to describe what I had and the rep had me look at station 1 on the platform to see if the hole was enlarged or not perfectly flat. The opening seemed OK but I did notice a lot of wear on the first edge the plate makes contact with as it rotates.

The rep said to send the shell plate and platform in for repair/replacement. He said they don't send those parts out anymore. He said mine would be repaired or replaced based on what they determined. He went on to say this type of wear is normally seen on commercial loaders and asked if I was one. I've only had this press for about 3 years and only load for myself so not sure why I'm seeing this type of wear unless maybe it was a weak shell plate.

The bummer is it cost me $10.25 in shipping and once they get it he said it would be in house for around 3 days before putting it back in the mail to me. I guess I should keep more loaded ammo on hand for this type of issue in the future.

It sure would have been nice if they had some type of exchange like put new parts in the mail to me that day and if they didn't receive the old parts in 10 days charge my credit card for the new parts. Been totally satisfied with past experiences with the 550 and 650, they just drop the part into the mail to me so only down for 3 days or so.

The rep said to send the shell plate and platform in for repair/replacement. He said they don't send those parts out anymore.

That's surprising. Hope it doesn't reflect a new revised "no nonsense warranty" philosophy.

I just had two problems with my SDB, and they shipped both parts out immediately, about a

month ago.

Good luck. :cheers:

Not the best of pictures from my cell phone but I did snap a couple before sending the parts in. This is the underside of the shell plate. I didn't take any of the platform.

You can see how the shell plate is dimpling out on the bottom side. The first photo you can see where the plate is starting to crack too.

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

Sure looks like a defective plate. Also seems like if it were snugged down on the platform it would wear a ring into the aluminum platform. You should be receiving a new platform if there is a ring worn into it and a new shell plate.

Dillon will make it right.

Sure looks like a defective plate. Also seems like if it were snugged down on the platform it would wear a ring into the aluminum platform. You should be receiving a new platform if there is a ring worn into it and a new shell plate.

Dillon will make it right.

The only wear on the platform was really around the opening for the spent primers where it just broke the edge of the opening. I'm sure they will make it right, just used to "free" and faster service.

It looks to me that the advent of the GS Custom Swager that fits on a 650 has caused Dillon change their policy regard the warranty of shell plates.

Simply stated if they find evidence of you installing one these swagers on your 650, warranties are OVER. It would seem that an advance replacement policy would be pretty easy for Dillon to implement but from their standpoint it's probably easier not to argue with a user claiming to never of installed the GS swager when the shell plate tells the real story.

Hopefully GS Custom pre-warns buyers that they will flush Dillon press owners warranties. If not they will certainly be seeing lawsuits from unsuspecting Dillon owners.

The rep said to send the shell plate and platform in for repair/replacement. He said they don't send those parts out anymore. He said mine would be repaired or replaced based on what they determined.

You can thank the aftermarket swaging system and shell plates for the change. I don't blame them, I would do the same thing. They would have done the same thing with the 1050's, due to the autodrives but the warranty expires on them pretty quickly.

The rep said to send the shell plate and platform in for repair/replacement. He said they don't send those parts out anymore. He said mine would be repaired or replaced based on what they determined.

You can thank the aftermarket swaging system and shell plates for the change. I don't blame them, I would do the same thing. They would have done the same thing with the 1050's, due to the autodrives but the warranty expires on them pretty quickly.

Maybe I can understand that but it would be nice if they would take my credit card information and just send me the new parts. Once they got the defective ones they could take the hold off. If I didn't send them in they could just charge me for them. For the people trying to cheat them they could just go ahead and charge them for the new parts. At least I wouldn't be out $10.25 and two weeks without my press or however long it takes to get the parts back. Not exactly the warrantee we are all used to.

You stated that Dillon wants you to send in the shell plate and the platform. Did you send the entire press in or did you disassemble the actual platform assembly ?

I just sent in what they wanted, shell plate and platform. Parts weighed just under 2 pounds.

Looks like they received the parts yesterday (Monday) so I'll let you know when I get them back and what if anything they say. It would be nice if they gave me credit for the shipping but I'm not holding my breath.

I must admit the turnaround time from Indiana to Arizona was faster than I thought it would be. I sent the defective parts by USPS Friday afternoon (080814) and according to the tracking information they arrived at Dillon on Monday at 11:00. On Tuesday I received FedEx tracking information showing the new parts were ready to ship. Today (081514) at 16:30 I received the new parts.

Both the shell plate and the platform are new and not repaired/reconditioned parts. There was no information about what they determined. They did include an alignment tool with the replacement parts. It would have been nice if they would have included some primer tubes or at least a store credit to cover my shipping expense. But at least I'm back in business and it appears everything is still in alignment so didn't need the tool. I'll probably load some 9mm tomorrow to see how it does.

All in all I'm glad to have the 650 back to gather just didn't like what it took to get the parts and the $10.25 it cost me out of my pocket for shipping.

I think I would be pretty ecstatic about Dillon's fast turnaround and handling of this issue and wouldn't even mention the nominal cost of the return shipping. That's like complaining when someone hands you a beer and you have to remove the cap.

Glad you got it back up and running.

Actually in your analogy it would be more like ordering and paying for a beer, the can having a hole in so you point that out and they charge you for the trouble of getting you a new one.

I just expected this to be handled like everyone brags about... "Oh, this part broke and I called Dillon and within a few days I had my new part FREE of charge." This wasn't the case here and actually cost ME money. That was the point I was making here. And yes I was happy with the quick turn around that's why I stated that. Trying to give the good with the bad.

I have had Dillon presses and equipment for nearly 25 years just pointing out things are a changing.

That's like complaining when someone hands you a beer and you have to remove the cap.

You know they used to make beer cans/bottles that required tools to open and one would complain if a server had not already opened it.

Dillon also used to send free replacements without question. Many of us bought and continue to buy Dillon for the no BS part of the warranty.

I think he was just pointing out that times are changing and again I understand why they had to change.

Edited by jmorris

Actually in your analogy it would be more like ordering and paying for a beer, the can having a hole in so you point that out and they charge you for the trouble of getting you a new one.

I just expected this to be handled like everyone brags about... "Oh, this part broke and I called Dillon and within a few days I had my new part FREE of charge." This wasn't the case here and actually cost ME money. That was the point I was making here. And yes I was happy with the quick turn around that's why I stated that. Trying to give the good with the bad.

I have had Dillon presses and equipment for nearly 25 years just pointing out things are a changing.

Fair enough, both analogies are probably lacking as your shell plate likely wasn't received originally with the issue that ultimately developed. As pointed out already, they have probably had to tighten up the situation a bit when it comes to shell plates due to misuse and others that have taken advantage of Dillon's "No BS" warranty.

Again, glad you got it sorted out, even at a nominal cost.