Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

breathing

aahunt03

When lining up a long distance shot, I take one or two deeper than normal breaths, and exhale around halfway to a muscle neutral position. There should be no tension in your chest, you don't want to hold in a full breath or completely exhale, just find that comfortable quiet place in between. Taking a few deeper breaths increases the oxygen level of your blood slightly, which increases the amount of time that you can hold your breath before your mental focus begins to wane do to a lack of fuel.

The reason you want to hold your breath during a precise or distant shot is that doing so calms the mind, and allows for a hightened clarity of focus for a few brief seconds. Normally our minds are bubbling away with all kinds of other thoughts in the background. Think of it as a boiling pot of thoughts just below the conscious level. When your hold your breath, calm and empty the mind, and put your attention on one single thing (sight alignment), it's like turning down the heat and reducing that boil to a low simmer. The result is less mental clutter and an increased ability to focus. Holding your breath by itself will help with precision shooting, but you'll get the most out of it when you also learn to stop thinking, to calm the mind and let that few seconds of increased clarity flow through you.

When lining up a long distance shot, I take one or two deeper than normal breaths, and exhale around halfway to a muscle neutral position. There should be no tension in your chest, you don't want to hold in a full breath or completely exhale, just find that comfortable quiet place in between. Taking a few deeper breaths increases the oxygen level of your blood slightly, which increases the amount of time that you can hold your breath before your mental focus begins to wane do to a lack of fuel.

The reason you want to hold your breath during a precise or distant shot is that doing so calms the mind, and allows for a hightened clarity of focus for a few brief seconds. Normally our minds are bubbling away with all kinds of other thoughts in the background. Think of it as a boiling pot of thoughts just below the conscious level. When your hold your breath, calm and empty the mind, and put your attention on one single thing (sight alignment), it's like turning down the heat and reducing that boil to a low simmer. The result is less mental clutter and an increased ability to focus. Holding your breath by itself will help with precision shooting, but you'll get the most out of it when you also learn to stop thinking, to calm the mind and let that few seconds of increased clarity flow through you.

wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the great info!

• 2 months later...

short FAST breaths when you are moving. Do what Eric says below when pulling the trigger. Do it as quick as you can cause it will take to much thought and that equals time. work on it in dryfire. Sorry I didn't read you whole question. Do my post when moving. Lol. Then do Eric post when you are pulling off the shot. Lol.

Cheers.

Edited by a matt