Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I use this gun for competitions?

krang

I'm new to the sport and was wondering if I can use my Ruger P345 for IPSC events. I have 4 mags but they are all 8rds. each. I have a 9mm I use for ccw with 10 rd. mags but prefer the .45 for everyday use. You opinions are greatly appreciated.

There are guns that are better suited but I would certainly use it and shoot it if that is what you want to try. You can always have a hell of a good time with just about anything. If you feel you need something else after shooting a few matches you will have seen what everyone else uses and have a much better idea in what direction you wish to proceed. Go for it. :)

krang ... welcome.

As Merlin said, there are better choices if you're getting something new, but it's usually best to try shooting with what you already have.

All you really need now are:

a good sturdy belt

a safe holster that covers the trigger guard and preferably is stiff enough to reholster with one hand

some mag carriers for you belt, a minimum of four single or two doubles. Six single or three doubles would be better

and probably a few more magazines

Thanks guys. I was mainly concerned about the 8rd. capacity of the 345 magazines. Guess I'll just reload more.

You won't be competitive at first, but so what, unless you're Dave Sevigney, you wouldn't be any way.

Try it, and if you like it, then start looking for different gear if you want to compete.

Until my wife lets me buy anything else. I shoot a Springfield Champion in L10. I have an Uncle Mikes holster and two double mag pouches. I use MecGar magazines for now. (I have one Chip McCormick and I am planning too switch). I think I can Have a blast at this sport no matter what I shoot.

Krang - welcome. The gun you have right now is a fine gun to start with. No need to buy a new gun. The critical thing is this: get yourself to a match asap even if its only to watch once before you shoot.

ANd as Rhino points out, find a "strong side" holster (right hip holster if you are a righty) for your new .45 and two extra mags, plus a double mag holder, and you are all set.

Again, the critical thing is to get out there & start shooting. Everything else will become clear in time. Regards, D.

www.shootersparadise.com

• 4 weeks later...