Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Bullet Case Gauge issues failing forwards but not rim first

drewbeck

So recently I have been having some issues with .40 rounds failing the case gauge. I'm currently using a Hornady LnL with a mixture of Hornady and Lee Dies.

Setup Stages

1 - Lee Sizing

2 - Expander & Powder Drop

3 - Hornady Powder Cop

4 - Hornady Bullet Feeder

5 - Lee Seating and Crimp Die

I've had some some issues with glock brass in the past but have adjusted the sizing die and don't have many if any bulge issues still happening. What is now happening is that probably 15% when gauged will drop in and stick out about the thickness of the case rim. If pushed they will go in but then need to be "popped" out from the backside of the EGW gauge. If I drop them in with the case first they plunk right in which leads me to believe I have a bullet issue. I don't think it is a crimp diameter issue as the whole case fits the gauge fine when backwards.

Currently using 180 gr Xtreme bullets and mixed range brass. STI Executive and it happens from 1.16-1.2 with similar frequency. Looking at the load, I don't see any tilt in the bullet but I am thinking this has to be a concentricity issue with the seating and rubbing of the bullet. There are no real "cuts" on the bullet and the same thing happens when dropped in the chamber. They haven't jammed yet but I know it's just a matter of time before they get on Murphy's schedule if you know what I mean.

Anyone have any idears on how to fix this?

I am actually using the RCBS seating and taper crimp die in #5, If I break this into two stages what should I get rid of to make room? The powder cop is really nice to have, as is the bullet feeder.

I guess the powder cop is your only choice unless you wanted to buy a cheap little press to do the taper crimp separate but that would negate having a progressive press. Seating and crimping at the same time will form a bulge under the case mouth and this may be why you are having a problem. Try doing it in separate stages and see if this solves your problem.

I had the same problem, and traced it to some once fired brass.

The extractor raised a slight burr on the case rim. So the cartridge drops into the gage then stops at the top of the case gage at the rim.

It was very hard to see, had to use a jeweler’s loupe. Buffed it off, no problem after that. Dropped in clean.

I know everyone says you shouldn't seat and crimp in the same die but I have been using the Hornady seat/crimp die for thousands of rounds and no problems at all. Never had a round jam or not feed with that set up using the Hornady 180 HAP or Xtreme 200s.

I also use once fired brass in my STIs(Eagle and Trojan) and Glock and the EGW case checker. In my shooting and testing in my pistols I found when I get rounds like you are describing, whole round in checker except for rim, they feed and shoot just fine. I actually call them good and never had a jam or ammo issue at a match or practice. Anything more then they get pulled and used as practice ammo and not match ammo but even those worked flawlessly.

You can try and get a Lee/EGW U die but I wouldn't pull the powder cop especially in a fast progressive set up like that. I would be more worried about the safety of the rounds in protecting from a double feed or squib. If anything I would pull the bullet feeder and just drop them by hand. It's how I have my LnL set up running. Station 4 is open. As i pull the handle down I grab a bullet and look at the powder cop and on the down stroke I seat the primer and set the bullet on case in station 5 and then repeat. Once in the flow it's pretty fast.

Same problem with .400 180 grin Bayou bullets. Must just be the profile of the bullet and I have tried many different OAL's. Went to barrel gauging and then checked in the case gauge. I just made a mental note to myself and only throw out the ones that are excessive.

All have functioned in my SV 40

Jon

I know everyone says you shouldn't seat and crimp in the same die but I have been using the Hornady seat/crimp die for thousands of rounds and no problems at all. Never had a round jam or not feed with that set up using the Hornady 180 HAP or Xtreme 200s.

I also use once fired brass in my STIs(Eagle and Trojan) and Glock and the EGW case checker. In my shooting and testing in my pistols I found when I get rounds like you are describing, whole round in checker except for rim, they feed and shoot just fine. I actually call them good and never had a jam or ammo issue at a match or practice. Anything more then they get pulled and used as practice ammo and not match ammo but even those worked flawlessly.

You can try and get a Lee/EGW U die but I wouldn't pull the powder cop especially in a fast progressive set up like that. I would be more worried about the safety of the rounds in protecting from a double feed or squib. If anything I would pull the bullet feeder and just drop them by hand. It's how I have my LnL set up running. Station 4 is open. As i pull the handle down I grab a bullet and look at the powder cop and on the down stroke I seat the primer and set the bullet on case in station 5 and then repeat. Once in the flow it's pretty fast.

Seems like you and I are having the same issue. They don't jam on me but it just feels like it will jam at some point and it will of course be the worst timing possible. Are you using the case feeder? I load sitting down and so I feel the powder cops is an absolute necessity. If I switched to case feeder instead of the bullet feeder die I would have a spot to do the two die seating/crimping. I'm wondering if there is a better seating/crimp die than the RCBS. Or maybe I just get a full length and put it in my single stage to clean up the rounds that don't gauge.

Anyone else have any ideas on a die to seat/crimp?

Sounds like the bullet is seated off center. I have seen this problem where the bullet was leaning to one side of the case mouth when seated. Pretty easy to tell if you roll the round across a flat surface and look at the bullet. If not centered the bullet will look like it is wobbling as it rolls.

Seems like you and I are having the same issue. They don't jam on me but it just feels like it will jam at some point and it will of course be the worst timing possible. Are you using the case feeder? I load sitting down and so I feel the powder cops is an absolute necessity. If I switched to case feeder instead of the bullet feeder die I would have a spot to do the two die seating/crimping. I'm wondering if there is a better seating/crimp die than the RCBS. Or maybe I just get a full length and put it in my single stage to clean up the rounds that don't gauge.

Anyone else have any ideas on a die to seat/crimp?

Yes I use a case feeder. I load seated too. This is the taper crimp/seat die I use. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/946970/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-taper-crimp-seater-die-40-s-and-w-10mm-auto?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I don't have the case feeder which is why I'm using the bullet feed die. Placing both bullet and case slows down the process quite a bit. I have a U die on order so we'll see if that changes anything before I give up on the combo seating/crimp die