Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 9mm FTF reloads

decastle

I just got a new XDM 5.25 9mm had a PRP trigger installed everything else is stock. My first trip to the range with the gun I had multiply FTF (gun would not go into battery) with my reloads. It first seemed that the FTF's were caused by my reloads being too long (1.135) so I loaded the following load, 147G LFP, OAL 1.11 over 3.0 grains of BE with a heavy crimp of .376 all rounds were run through a LFC die. So I take the 5.25 along with a Glock 34 with lone wolf barrel and STI Spartan back to the range. The 5.25 had another failure to feed and would not go into battery to the point when I finally broke it loose it pulled the bullet from the case. The Glock and Spartan eat the ammo with out any problems. Anyone else have this kind of issue? I contacted Springfield this morning and was informed they only guaranteed the gun to work with factory ammo. Thanks in advance.

With flat point bullets I used 1.100 OAL and .378 crimp.

When you say its not going into battery how far into the chamber is it going?

Did you check the 'loaded chamber' indicator to ensure its moving freely and there is no debris trapped under it?

If the bullet came out of the case then the bullet is too long and is hitting the rifling before getting all the way in. The shape of the bullet determines the max OAL.

Try dropping the rounds into the barrel and make sure they drop in and out freely.

Edited by BritinUSA

I agree with Paul, but add this: I'd drop the rounds into the chamber, then attempt to spin them. Only then can you GUARANTEE that they're not hitting the rifling.

The whole "pulled the bullet from the case" thing indicates that the rounds are WAY too long for that particular bullet shape.

I'll reload some at 1.100 and see if they will spin, I don't usually load that short I do worry some about over pressurizing the case. BritinUSA good ideal on the loaded chamber indicator I'll check it. Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.

My 5.25 had an extremely short throat, before I had it throated the best I could do with your bullets was 1.090 and it was still sensitive to OAL deviation. I sent my barrel to Dawson Precision and for $35.00 I can load as long as the magazine will allow without a problem.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Thank bowenbuilt, I did so some more testing today and the OAL has to be below 1.080 before they will spin like Braxton1 suggested. I'm going to make sure I'm not compressing the powder and then test for accuracy. Thanks again.

Had the same problem on my 5.25 with Precision Bullets FP-125. These bullets are great but because of the flat sides I had to push them into about 1.085". As stated above just drop them into your (clean) barrel and you should hear a clunk. If it doesn't clunk then try pushing it down some more. I was really worried about the over pressure as well. I use IMR PB and it's pretty full. But I haven't had any problems. My gun eats bullets like crazy. In fact I watch other guys struggling with malfunctions at matches and wonder how they can take it. I'd want to take a hammer to my gun if it gave me trouble.

Same here but I shoot a Tactical. I can get away with a little bit longer OAL, but not much more. Depends, of course, on the shape of the bullet. I have to load bullets like Montana Gold JHP's fairly short for them to work. Rounds nose gives me more freedom, but not much more.

Chamber check the rounds as you're working them up. I'm not real scientific in my method. I go long enough to where they get stuck, or don't spin or drop out freely, and then back off a fraction, and try again. I also mash down with my thumb just to make sure they're not getting stuck. Once I find a good length, I load about 20 using various brands of brass and then test them. If they're all good, I'm good to go.

Hmmm, I've used Berrys, Bear Creek, Xtreme and Bayou 147 gr with zero issues in two XDM 5.25's @ 1.131-1.135 with no issues. I also wonder if your loaded chamber indicator isn't gummed up. If not, maybe the gun needs to go back to Springfield. Does it chamber factory ammo?

JD

XD525Shooter you are correct, when I seated them to where the bullet would spin, 1.08 OAL, you could tell there was a significant pressure spike. I shot about 5 rounds and decided the shorter OAL was not an option. I also got some 125grain LRN bullets that my friend that were loaded to 1.126 and the gun would still fail to go into battery. jdlincoln the loaded chamber indicator is moving freely, when I contacted Springfield they informed me they only guaranteed the gun to work with factory ammo. I'm going to have the barrel throated by either a LS or send it to Dawson. Thanks everyone for your help.