Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xdm fails to reset trigger consistently

moparnut88

Hi I have a fairly warmed over 5.25 xdm in 9mm that I shoot in production. It has about every goodie that could b dropped into it. Prp ultimate match trigger. Mostly prp parts. Got a sp guide rod insert, prp striker, ejector, and a 14lb wolf recoil spring. Problem I'm having is that in slow speed shooting it runs 100% u get it in competition and it will fail to fully reset the trigger. The striker will be caught by the sear but you will have to release the trigger fully then pull it again B4 it will fire. Only other mod is a little weld added to the trigger bar to decrease pretravel. any ideas mich appreciated thnks!

It's gotta have a LITTLE pre-travel in order to give the trigger bar enough room to reset under all conditions. I'd look really closely at the "little weld". If it's too big or not perfectly smooth, it could be digging into the plastic and causing an intermittent bind.

We have to remember that these Production Division guns are NOT raceguns where every tolerance is reduced to minimum. They are designed to run with some clearance around parts. When we get them too close to "zero", then another tolerance creeps in and bites us on the butt.

Yes that's kinda what me and my gunsmith were thinkn it's got prolly a little bit less than half of the pretravel it had without the weld. But yes the weld was smooth. I personally finished the hand fitting and finishing with a ceramic stone to almost a mirror finish. Well check the trigger bar this weekend. Thnks!! Keep any ideas coming. I wonder how well the trigger bar prp sells does?

The first thing I though was Trigger Freeze sence it works 100% in slow fire but not in compitition.

But, if you've reduced your trigger pretravel to .001", you should file that weld down to give it a little more to ensure function. I use the PRP trigger bar. My trigger bar didn't require any fitting to function as is some times the case. I'll measure my pretravel and report back to you.

Yes that's Wat i thought too was trigger freeze. I didn't know Wat was the best way to correct it if it's the problem. But me and my gunsmith both think that there is sufficient clearance. And if u do the test with no striker springs it looks like it have way more than enough bc i have it setup with over travel but minimal pretravel. Thnks again!

Yes that's Wat i thought too was trigger freeze. I didn't know Wat was the best way to correct it if it's the problem. But me and my gunsmith both think that there is sufficient clearance. And if u do the test with no striker springs it looks like it have way more than enough bc i have it setup with over travel but minimal pretravel. Thnks again!

When I said trigger freeze I wasn't talking about a machanical problem with the pistol. I was refering to when a shooter, in his rush to take the next shot, doesn't release the trigger enough for it to reset. If the pistol passes all function tests, you should treat this a real posibility. Good luck.

I measured my trigger travel this evening. This is with the PRP ultimate match trigger kit that I installed. Measuring from the base of the trigger with 0.000 at rest.

Initial take take up before engaging sear is .099"

At this point the sear begins movement.

Striker fires at .183"

Total travel is .233"

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2014 at 6:45 AM, Chuckie45 said:

I measured my trigger travel this evening. This is with the PRP ultimate match trigger kit that I installed. Measuring from the base of the trigger with 0.000 at rest.

Initial take take up before engaging sear is .099"

At this point the sear begins movement.

Striker fires at .183"

Total travel is .233"

After firing, what's the distance of your reset when it catches the sear wedge again?  I have the Ultimate match kit too and all works fine, and I get a crisp reset.  However it would be nice to still have a bit lesser reset distance (guess I'm used to my CZ Shadow's reset), if possible and safe.  Is it fine to reduce the "little wedge" further to still lessen reset distance?  Or is this the max position where reducing it further would jeopardize the other parts (ie. perhaps like reduce the distance of the striker safety)?

Edited by sherpa25

I have all Springer parts in mine. I also have a factory trigger bar that has been welded in the hook area, the top reset hump area and an overtravel screw added.

I wanted the trigger to be further forward than the Springer, so I tigged and remachined everything. It worked great during slow fire and target practice with very little reset and shorter travel.

During full speed runs, I found that I would not relax the trigger enough to reset. 

Went back to the Springer that has a shorter at rest position.

Shoot the gun...a lot! It will become second nature.

Edited by Broncman