Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Holster - 625 PC

Dr.J

Good Morning - I'd like help selecting a first holster for my S&W 625PC. Since it's thefirst holster I've purchased, I'm thinking that it might be best to get one that will be a compromise, let me compete in IDPA, Steel Challenge, and ICORE. After I shoot a bit, I think I'd be in a better position to know which holster I'd need for each discipline. Does that make sense? It appears that a Blade Tech DOH might fit my needs. I'd appreciate your comments? Thanks Dr.J

I am using a Blade Tech shooting revolver in both Revolver and Production Division. I really like the holster. One thing to watch is the DOH might move you gun to far away from your body to be USPSA legal. The gun must be 2 inches or less from the inside of the belt to the closest portion of the grip. In my case with a Hogue grip I was over 2 inches away and had to make my own drop with less offset. For IDPA you will have to remove the DOH entirely as the front of the grip must be at or above the top of the belt.

Edited by mcb

I appreciate the comments. Would either of you gents have a suggestion regarding where to look for a used Blade Tech? I don't have the required 50 posts to use the classified section.

My next purchase will be the Blade Tech and a stiff competition belt. Since I started on a budget, I currently use a cheaper concealed carry-type belt that has a stiffener in it and a Safariland Custom Fit Paddle Holster. That Safariland holster rides very securely, is cheap on OpticsPlanet or even Amazon, and it does double duty as a carry or field holster or around the house. I use it with my 625PC and my 629, and it gets used often. :)

I'd appreciate your comments?

I'm going to differ. Get a DAA Racer. It would cover ICORE, Steel Challenge, USPSA and fit any N frame you choose to put in it. If you want the self abuse IDPA affords you can get an IDPA specific holster that fits their rules.