Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Complacency

j1b

I've come to the conclusion that complacency is the first sign of failure and almost inevitably ends in failure (of achieving whatever the goal is).

Just read a business book that explored some pretty interesting concepts.

The long and short of it is that if you are good - or stiving to be good - then you will fail (in business). Being great, striving to be great, and realizing that "great" is dynamic and will change - is the only way one will make it.

Then I was watching The Golf Channel (I know you all hate golf but work with me here) and Tom Layman was saying that if your goal is par and that particular day you are shooting under par - but you still hold par as your goal then you are selling yourself short. You should play each shot to be its best and see what the net result is in the end. Don't try and protect the goal if you are on trend to exceed it.

I tell ya - sometimes its like a freakin' yellow brick road - the sign says (to me) "strive to be the best - or don't strive at all"

JB

Jb,

Funny you should bring this up...I was just thinking of this today.

Good is the ememy of Great.

And, as you mentioned, Great is always changing.

I wonder...perhaps IDPA was born out of these life facts.  (Champions of the past...resisting change...and fresh competition in the process.)

I couldn't agree more.

What "Great" is changes - and as a result what we have to do to be great changes.

That more than likely includes changing the game sometimes.

Great point Flex!

JB

My wife make fun of me for "P'ing the E"

In our house that means "pursuing the excellence."

It drives her nuts, but she's starting to understand.

When I'm tired and don't feel like going into the basement for dry fire, she says just to skip it...

To me that's not pursuing excellence, but embracing mediocrity, and accepting good enough.

I always tell her, Gotta P the E.

Pursuing excellence is it's own reward.

SA

• 1 month later...