Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large (Like ICE) Magwells Allowed In SS & L-10?

PEC-Memphis

Title pretty much says it all.

In reading the rules, as best as I can tell, if the magwell and inserted magazine fits in the box a larger magwell is legal for SS and L-10 - yes?

If so, is are folks competitive with no, or small (i.e.. standard thickness grip) size magwells? Or is it a "must have"?

I'm transitioning from a Glock 34 to an STI Trojan (.40 S&W), and reloads seem like they should be timed with a sun-dial compared to the 34.

I have the STI metal MSH and small integral magwell. How much does the larger magwell help?

For L10, you can use whatever size magwell you want. There are no "fit the box" restrictions.

SS on the other hand falls under that rule.

The largest magwell I've come across, that will fit "the box" is the Dawson or the SVI. The Techwell is large also but I don't like their grip options.

Buy the Dawson ICE and put it on your gun. It helps tremendously.

I am (naturally) a bigger fan of the Predator Tactical Comp Well, but the ICE would be easier for you to do and wouldn't require modifying your grips.

I shot SS for at least a year with a S&A magwell before going with a magwell that had a full wrap around the frame. I chose the Techwell SP magwell and did the modifications to my grips to match up with the TW locking lugs. I do think the bigger magwell made a difference, but in the end you're still shoving a skinny mag into a skinny hole. When I shoot SS I have to practice my reloads more than when I shoot Ltd or Prd.

One note of caution, if you go with the bigger magwells (Dawson ICE, TW XT) you'll need mags with tall basepads. But in order to fit the box with those mags you may need to grind down the front corner of the basepad a little. Exactly how much depends on how tall your rear sight is. I build myself a box to the USPSA dimensions for test fitting when I started grinding on my Wilson 47DE basepads.

On my current SS gun (in .40) I went with Tripp "Corey" System mags that already come with the front corner ground down and everything fit the box just fine. I currently have the Techwell SP on there but will likely be getting the IPSC XT model for this gun.

I got a .40 Trojan a few months ago from Dawson and got their CRP package which comes with the ICE magwell. I have used their ICE magwells on my Glock 34 and 35 and they are easy to install and use. Funnels the mag easily into the magwell. Still takes a little getting used to going from a big, wide mouth of a hi cap mag pistol to the single stack but the Dawson makes it easier.

I also use the Tripp "Corey" mags. Good part about those is that if you wanted to use the Trojan in IDPA ESP then you can just get the standard followers and swap them out with the hybrid followers in the Corey mags and then you can load 10 rounds in the mag and still fit in the box.

Here's an older pic as I have VZ Operator II grips on there now

photo93_zpsd8aa72fa.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have the Dawson ICE magwell installed on my 1911. Dawson made some extended/angled base pads for my Wilson 47D magazines. It all fits in the box. However, I still sometimes have trouble seating a full magazine. I may go back to something like the S&A someday.

I have the Dawson ICE magwell installed on my 1911. Dawson made some extended/angled base pads for my Wilson 47D magazines. It all fits in the box. However, I still sometimes have trouble seating a full magazine. I may go back to something like the S&A someday.

I'm going the other way. If you'd like to trade, let me know :)

My wife is having the same problem, but is getting better. Any ideas for her on seating the mags?

I'm going the other way. If you'd like to trade, let me know :)

I appreciate the offer but am not sure what I'm going to do. I thought about going without the any magwell and return the gun to a carry gun status.

My wife is having the same problem, but is getting better. Any ideas for her on seating the mags?

YMMV...but I've just started being ever more forceful with the magazine insertions. I unnerves me because I'm always worried about bending the lips on the mags. If more of the base pad were exposed, it would be easier to use. The only way I've found to completely cure the problem is to shoot revolver. :)