Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the consensus on CFE pistol?

3djedi

I will say one thing so far about CFE pistol that I do not like. The powder sticks to everything. It stuck to my scale plate, stuck into the bullet case and in my powder measure almost like it has a magnetic charge to it. I will get more info out when I shoot some of the loads this weekend.

Don't go out of your way for it, or buy it over something you like for 40 major. I didn't care for it in 40 major

What didn't you like about it? I have 16lbs of the stuff. It works but it's seems really dirty.....

So far it has not made my favorite list. I am still experimenting but other than a balls to the wall load I can't get a decent group out of it so far and it loads everything up with unburned powder on the lower end. I quit trying on auto pistol and now I am trying to find a place for it in revolver. It looks like a good Unique replacement, time will tell.

Edited by bowenbuilt

compared to pretty much any other 40 major powder it is very harsh. It work great, but it's definitely not better than a faster powder. That's why I say dont go out of your way for it because it's not better. So, if recoil isnt something you care about and are just plinking it's excellent, but for USPSA it's not ideal. It also has trouble getting a complete burn with lighter bullets **at major power factor* loaded long for svi/sti guns giving fairly inconsistent chrono results. That's why the data they list is above PF, because this slow of powder needs that pressure to completely ignite. Use it for 9major

Dude, 16lbs?

Why'd you buy so much if you hadn't tested it?

You state it dirty, what bullet are you using?

I haven't tried it yet but know a few that are trying it, since they were able to finally get some pistol powder.

because I haven't been able to find any powder. This popped up so I snagged it! Plus, the container says "Ideal for 9mm, 38 super, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP". And their brochure says "For competitive shooters and hand loaders seeking the perfect powder for target or self-defense loads." They wouldn't lie to me! lol

Oh, I'm using 180g berry's bullets and 180g montana gold JHP's. I haven't chrono'd the loads but I'm thinking it's to weak because it's really dirty and leaves partially burned powder (I think that's what it is)......

What's a good powder to use for USPSA limited?

Edited by 3djedi

attachicon.gif20140717_023335-1.jpgattachicon.gif20140717_023250-1.jpg

Is that stuff partially burned powder?

Sure looks like it. I ran 400 rounds of it at minor and had it all over me. No big deal but I had to take all of my magazines apart to get it out of them and it turned my FO front sight black. It worked better at major (cleaner) but had more recoil than what I have been using. It would probably be great with a light bullet and a comp.

Edited by bowenbuilt

For .40 minor Clays is the ultimate. It can be a little hairy making major loaded short but for short loaded minor it's really hard to beat. I would not pick Clays for major, some people do it but to me it's tempting fate.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I understand, when powder was barren you grabbed what you could. No problem.

As far as dirty? I just see un-burned powder. I had the same complaint with Universal when I loaded at the lower end of the recommendations shooting 38 spl.

(Now I wish I had stocked up on Universal because it's great for 40 major w/200 gr bullets)

Your first step should be to chrono to see where you are running. What is the recipe you are using?

I like Clays but only for minor in 40 SW.

I Love Clays for 38 spl, 9mm, 45 ACP and 12 ga.

yes, definitely need to chrono. But what I have been using is 5.6g CFE with a 180g MG JHP loaded to a 1.145" OAL. Glock 35.......

Hodgdon CFE Pistol .400" 1.125" 5.4 949 25,800 PSI
6.0 1,051 32,200 PSI
Also for Berry's 180g I was using 5.8g at 1.145"
Hodgdon CFE Pistol .400" 1.125" 5.9 1,007 25,500 PSI (at the min charge it already 181PF)
6.5 1,092 32,600 PSI
but, like I said, I haven't chrono'd............
Edited by 3djedi

I don't know where they get the competition part from but, I don't care for it at all. They need to shut down the cfe line and make more tight group.

CFE 223 works phenomenally well in my .22-250 with 40 grain bullets. Don't shut it down!

Is it a winner or forget about it?

I so far like it. Been loading 9MM 115 TMJ's with 5.6grs for 1160 to 1170 fps using mixed nickel O/F brass with 9+P brass mixed in, shoots accurate and clean, recoil about the same as my WSF 5.4 to a 5.5 load up to Factory spec. from what I see the 40 with 180 TMJ should need about 5.7 for major been using 5.6 to 5.8 WSF for many years. So far the CFE is not effected by heat as with WSF and WST which are, more testing to be done to verify. The 9's in my 5in 45 Gold Cup Series 70 conversion to 9MM. So far have done about 15,000 rds in the past few months with the CFE and everyone likes it, been using WSF for the past 10 to 15 years or so for my people.