Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considerations of lightening a Glock 24 slide

Ryan N

I recently aquired a Glock 24 and I shot it for the first time yesterday at a USPSA match in Limited Major. It was a game changer for me from shooting Limited Minor with my G34.

I am a machinist and it will cost me nothing to mill some slots, etc in the slide. I have milled on 2 Glock slides in the past.

Cons:

- could weaken the slide

- will likely void any chance of Glock replacing the slide if crack develops

Pros:

- reduced reciprocating mass

- increase gun handling

- looks cool

I like the look of the slots on this ZEV slide. I wouldn't likely thin the slide like they do though.

post-24626-0-44694200-1405291271_thumb.j

Edited by Ryan N

I'm thinking about doing the same to a recently acquired 24. I wonder if Glock would even have a 24 slide to replace it with? It is discontinued correct? Besides, if you shoot it enough to crack the slide, you probably got your money's worth out of it.

I'm thinking about doing the same to a recently acquired 24. I wonder if Glock would even have a 24 slide to replace it with? It is discontinued correct? Besides, if you shoot it enough to crack the slide, you probably got your money's worth out of it.

That's a good point about shooting it enough to crack it. I plan to go fairly conservative with the milling due to shooting Major. I won't mill too thin anywhere If i decide to go ahead with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the factory G24 slide unaltered, as they "can" bring a premium price during a resale since they can be hard to find.

If your going to cut on a slide, I suggest getting a LWD slide and mill it to your hearts content.

Before I changed over to a 2011 platform, the below is what I shot in Limited.

G24_finished_006.jpg

I had George Huening fit a blind marked LWD barrel and do the slide lightening.

I sold the topend to a friend of mine, should have kept it, as it was a great set up.

bigcraig - nice looking 24. I appreciate the suggestion. I figure that I'm going to at least shoot one more match with it before making any permanent changes.

Religious Shooter - I feel that the 34/35 platform are really optimal in reciprocating mass. Ideally, I'd love to shoot someones lightened G24 before I do anything, but I don't know anyone in my area with one.

I weighted the G24 slide and the G34 slide today. These were weighed as a complete slide minus the barrel and guide rod (reciprocating mass).

Reciprocating mass of a stock G24 is 16.9 oz.

Reciprocating mass of a stock G34(don't have a G35) is 13.2 oz.

This is a 3.7 oz difference in slide weight. This seems like a significant difference in reciprocating weight.

Edited by Ryan N