Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12 guage #6 copper plated ok for 3gun?

mo4

I know that steel shot is a no no but can you use copper plated lead shot in three gun matches? Is it ok to shoot steel with it? I'm looking for something that can turn a spinner with a little more giddy up than the standard WM target loads I am using.

While a good idea, many matches are limiting birdshot to 2 3/4", 1 1/4 ounce, 1300 fps. Some all three, some just one or two of the restrictions. While don't advocate the limitations one way or the other, be aware that they are more common now than a few years ago.

I am not aware of any rules specific to three-gun that limit shot size, however, many clubs have size limits for safety reasons. I try to only use 7 1/2's as I have never seen a club ban those. 6's will definitely be a no-go at some ranges.

For hard set targets and spinners I usually carry two heavy loads to the match. For those clubs that have no restrictions I use Remington Nitro Pheasants, 1 3/8oz 6's at 1450fps. For matches that do have restrictions I have Remington Express Long Range, 1 1/4oz #7 1/2s at 1330fps.