Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quality grip strength trainers

kimel

I suspect lots of us use various grip strength training devices and probably a lot of us are using the cheapo plastic junk things from the local sporting goods stores. I was too but I kept breaking the damn things. Either the springs would die of catastrophic failure or they would lose their tension and become worthless. Plus, it was hard to find anything to move up for more power.

Then a couple weeks ago I was catching a ride with a co-worker who is a part-time coach for college field athletes (discus, shot, etc). He was the college coach of the guy that took Bronze in the Shot at Athens and was close to olympic class when he was in college.

Anyway...he had these grip trainers in his car that were unlike anything I had ever seen. Gnurled aluminium handles and nice steel springs. None of this crummy plastic and chrome plated crap! He bet me I couldn't close the one he handed me and he was right. It said "2" on the bottom of the grip. Then he handed me a "T" and I closed that fairly easily so he gave me a "1" and I closed it...barely. Turns out there is also a "3" and a "4". The "T" stands for "Trainer" but it is still stouter than anything I have come across in the sporting goods stores around here.

Needless to say I ordered a couple. I just got the "T" and the "1" for now. Not sure I even want the kind of grip it takes to close a "2".

They are from IronMind Enterprises

No association...blah blah blah...just a satisfied customer.

And yes I know that too much grip strength can cause problems but I am actually looking for endurance as much as strength here.

Edited by kimel

and nobody took notice when I mentioned them in a topic about grip trainers a while ago.

If you like them, I highly suggest you also check out the twist-o-grip.

Also, treat the whole process with great care. After level 1, it is pretty easy to cause yourself injury by overdoing it.

Ironmind now also has resistance bands for training the oposite set of muscles that the grips do. Might be useful in not causing yourself problems.

Their printed catalog is a LOT better than the website for finding stuff. The list of folks that have closed a #3 isn't exactly lengthy.

I didn't pick up on this on the website but their catalog lists two other models under the Trainer model:

The Guide @60lbs

The Sport @ 80lbs

The rest of them:

The Trainer is rated @ 100lbs

#1: 140lbs

#2: 195lbs

#3: 280lbs

#4: 365lbs (holy crap!)

I am not a body builder (well, I am but only around the middle) but I found a whole bunch of stuff that I will be getting in their catalog to work on various grip and forearm muscles to tone them up for shooting.

seriously, you want to be set gripwise for basically any sport besides body building (maybe) and strongman stuff, snag a trainer, a #1, a twist-o-grip ( http://www.twist-o-grip.com/ ), and possibly the irnomind rubber band dealies (haven't gotten off my butt and tried them yet).

The twist-o-grip is really a much more complete exerciser for the forearms than the grip trainers, but you need something like the T in order to get past a certtain point with the twist-o-grip.

That Twisto-o-grip looks pretty cool.

When I saw the thing about helping with tendonitis in the description of the Bands I ordered them immediately. I have pretty bad tendonitis in both elbows and if that will help even a little bit it will be worth it...worth it to NOT have cortizone, again, I hope. Hate that stuff.

These are great, I use to sell them, but make sure you use them as you would

lift weights, do 3-4 sets with each hand and then your done, I tried to be a heman

one time and strained my wrists for about 6 months, I have the #4 its quite a load!!

Manny