Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HULU Plus: paying extra $$$ to get screwed

bountyhunter

I signed up for Hulu plus a couple of months ago..... and I am certainly underwhelmed. But it should be good for something?

I had been watching this stupid show on NBC called "Crisis" and wanted to see how it ended.... since NBC cancelled it halfway through and it disappeared weeks ago. I found out that the "final episodes" had been shown at some point and I missed them. So, Hulu Plus to the rescue....

What a wonderful experience. My flatscreen has the Hulu Plus so I go there and ask to see Crisis and get a giant error message telling me that it is UNAVAILABLE for streaming, I have to watch it on the PC from their web site. So, after resetting the password for that, I start watching the crappy sized picture on the monitor and get my first treat:

Not only do you get a butt load of commercials on the Hulu website you PAID for, they start the show off with four commercials even though the broadcast doesn't have them there. Thanks.

And the audio volume on the commercials is, of course, set 30 dB louder than the program sound. Thanks again.

And I am watching this thinking: Wow, we pay extra money to watch broadcast TV that is sent out for free and get to watch extra commercials too!

We must be a nation of idiots.

Edited by bountyhunter

I was similarly underwhelmed......

Now if it's not on Netflix, or available through Amazon Prime for free, it really comes down to "Do I want to see this badly enough to pay for it?" If so I buy the streaming rights through Amazon.....

No commercials.....

The marketplace should (I repeat should) sort that all out in time, but I'm not holding my breath. I have avoided Hulu Plus and a couple other services for exactly the reasons you mention. The content they stream is dictated by deals with the content providers which means that you are still limited in what and how you are going to get it.

+1, if you can't do HDMI, there are adapters to HDMI. Unless your TV is just way too far.

I switched to HULU plus/Netflix combination 2 years ago. Cancelled my $100+ comcast. I didn't miss anything. I kept the net of course.. Ads on Hulu are still manageable. 2-3 ads on a 30-min show. For $8 a month, im not complaining.

Looked into cancelling cable and setting up an antenna for local channels and Hulu/Netflix for everything else.

My home is located on a slope down to the San Jacinto River. I just far enough off the hilltop that I get zero channels even with a 30' (HOA maximum) tower. Go uphill three streets and they get over 15 channels.

You can check channel availability with http://antennaweb.org/

Bill

Yeah, I use antenna (no cable) and get hundreds of channels. Sometimes our NBC affiliate shows the local baseball games and ditches the entire prime time lineup. If you are watching serial shows like Hannibal or Crisis, it leaves you on your own to try to see the missed episodes. I don't know why NBC would allow that crap from a local affiliate but they don't seem to care either.

Now if it's not on Netflix, or available through Amazon Prime for free, it really comes down to "Do I want to see this badly enough to pay for it?" If so I buy the streaming rights through Amazon.....

No commercials.....

This are my sentiments exactly. The experience with Netflix/Amazon experience makes Hulu Plus seems annoying....

• 5 weeks later...

No commercials.....

This are my sentiments exactly. The experience with Netflix/Amazon experience makes Hulu Plus seems annoying....

Exact same thing here... I can't believe they expect you to pay for that crap. I keep an account with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I guess it really is the commercials the irks me the most... And you can't go all the way back to episode 1. I wanted to start watching Blacklist, so I find it on Hulu Plus but the season had already progressed to far and I could only start at episode 5. Forget it, I'll wait until it is available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.