Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and cons of aggressive slide cuts

Doubledose

So I was wondering what the pros and cons are of the aggressive slide cuts. I really like the way they look but am unsure how they would affect life and reliability of the gun. Would it cause more likelihood of stress cracks? Does dirt get in them and cause reliability issues. Does it help with barrel cooling or not? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge regarding this.

So I was wondering what the pros and cons are of the aggressive slide cuts. I really like the way they look but am unsure how they would affect life and reliability of the gun. Would it cause more likelihood of stress cracks? Does dirt get in them and cause reliability issues. Does it help with barrel cooling or not? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge regarding this.

Kinda depends........... Some are made to look cool, some go quite far and will likely result in failure but the performance reasons are for balance of the gun and slide speed, lighter = faster. A good example is the STI Edge with a full dust cover and full heavy slide or a 6" 2011, stock they work well but slide is pretty slow, cut some weight and they work very well. Not sure about cooling but it can't hurt :goof:

Yes the gun does get more dust in it but not a lot, in my part of the country using a cover over the gun keeps the gun pretty clean.

Awesome responses and great info guys. Kneelingatlas the thread by CHA-LEE was an excellent reference and gave a lot of insight. Yes it is lightening I was asking about and why I asked is that some builders seem to do a lot of these cuts and others stick to very simple serrations and do not lighten the slide with the cuts so I wondered what the reasons were and now I can see that is has everything to do with how the gun is set up and contributes or detracts from recoil and speed. I liked the look but wanted to understand why some guns have it and others do not and thought there must be a reason besides the cosmetic look. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge! :-)

My primary gun and backup guns are near identical (5" STI Edge based) except the primary has slide cuts & a couple pounds lighter recoil spring.

The primary feels softer shooting and easier to control.