Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting USPSA Production with M&P Pro?

Gryman

Hello, I've been a casual shooter for most of my life starting from when I was 10. I managed to learn many bad habits over that time period, and broke most of them when I decided to dedicate a lot of time to shooting and later when I became a NRA Instructor. I've shot USPSA 2.5 times now. The first two times were sporadic where I went just to see some friends and shoot. This past Saturday I went and did half of the stages as my squad was running late and we got a late start. However, I made the decision that I wanted to start shooting USPSA more seriously and regularly.

Then came my dillema... What division do I take up? I had shot Limited 10 and SS Major. I like 1911's and I like my Glocks, but all of my Glocks have grip modifications not legal for Production. I also didn't want to shoot .45 for SS, nor is my 1911 setup for competition use.

So, I decided that I would buy a M&P Pro 9mm and start shooting Production with it. Now that I've made the decision (don't have the gun yet) I'm reading about a lot of accuracy problems. It looks like a new barrel design in 2014 has fixed the issue. Is there anything else that I should know other than looking for the newer barrel?

I plan on buying the Apex parts to fix up the trigger. I've also read that shooting lead in the M&P is fine, so I'm assuming the barrels aren't polygonal? The lead bullets I've been loading are from Precision Bullets and have the moly coating, so I assume even if the barrel is polygonal it would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

The M&P is a fine gun - what I use when I shot Production. My gun favored 124 bullets over 115 and 147 but accuracy has been more than sufficent to match my skills.

I've used lead, moly, and FMJ bullets. All are fine as long as you conduct regular maintence and watch for excessive fouling. Some brands of bulltes can vary in sizing and undersized or way oversized bullets can cause leading / fouling issues.

I don't think you can use the Apex FSS kit for Prooduction the I think the other kits are good.

Shoot limited minor with your Glocks in 9mm. Check me on the uspsa web sight and make sure the grip mods are OK. If you have a good striker fired pistol smith in your area that will work as well as Apex stuff IMO. The new barrel design was in December of 2012 as I recall, you are OK. If you get a used full size M&P you can get the new barrel often times at Midway. The 5 inch factory barrels are just not avail although 3 or 4 aftermarket folks make M&P barrels.

I have about 20K of lead through 2 M&P's. So lead works for me. Although I have recently been shooting Double Alpha coated bullets and like them a bunch for only a few dollars more. No smoke.

+1 for horseman's suggestion to shoot Limited with one of your Glocks. Although if the urge is on you to buy an M&P then go for it by all means. But even then, it's still not a bad idea to start out in Limited. Mainly because fewer mag changes frees up some of your attention for other things.

One consideration is to pick up a M&P 40 rather than a 9mm. With 40S&W you can push the velocity up to get into major or download to a soft shooting minor. Of course major only applies to Limited/Limited-10, but having a gun that can do it gives you the option.

I shoot Limited with my M&P 9L and use the factory barrel. I got mine in 09 or so, cant remember. I use Freedom Munitions 115gr FMJ/JHP and have had quarter size groupings at 25yds+ . I have the Apex AEK trigger and Competition AEK kit in it and is great. Just an FYI I dont think though in Production you are allowed to change the actual trigger. You are only allowed to do internal modifications that do not make the firearm less safe. Also the only grip mods according to page 81 in the USPSA rulebook is grip tape, sleeve, stippling only on the side panels of the gun. If you want to shoot and have some of the bells and whistles then i suggest shooting limited. I started shooting Limited 2 years ago.

Good Luck. Enjoy

I'm one of those 10mm owners who hates .40... :)

I'm not really setup for reloading in bulk yet, it's all done on a single stage which is just super slow, but doable. My preferred round is 9mm for just about everything, and it's what I carry every day. My thought process was to compete with a round and platform that I carry or use for things outside of competition. At least that was the intent right now. I think if I'm going to go Limited I'd rather just get a 1911/2011 in .40 and be competitive.

We'll see what happens with the M&P. Maybe I won't like it and end up with something else. I know right now I can't stand the finger grooves on the Glocks, and my G17/19/20 have all been modified.

Gryman, the accuracy woes have been largely addressed by a faster twist barrel that comes in all new production M&P's. I assume you are talking a 5" Pro which is the only reason to buy a Pro. While you are doing the Apex trigger spend another $50 and throw in a RAM and FRE.

I don't shoot lead but rifling is traditional cut so should not be a problem.

Nice GSD.

Edited by mcracco

The M&P's are great guns but they are kind of like Glocks and I guess most guns in general, once you get one you end up with more :). The M&P triggers feel like crap right out of the box but what I'd recommend you do is shoot it a lot to break it in and then have trigger work done on it. I had my local gun smith do a trigger job on mine and I absolutely love it now. I recently bought a 9mm pro and I'm going through the breaking in process with it and that's my main production gun. If you intend to stay in production go with 9mm. I've shot it with .40 and 9 and prefer 9 over 40. Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Starting in USPSA production with a m&p pro is exactly how I started shooting this spring. I had seen and read about it and decided I need to just jump in and try it.

I've had the best accuracy with 124gr and 147gr reloads but even with 115gr accuracy was acceptable. When I got my pro, I had some trigger work done and different sights put on but that's it. The only other thing I may do is put some grip tape on but that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the newer fast twist favors the 115's, at least in mine and a couple other posts ive seen. It's a great gun when the trigger is done. Got mine about 4 months ago, but I have to say, a new Sig P320 for $550 w/ 2 mags and 2 extra mags as a limited time offer, or the new H&K VP9 for $650 would be VERY tempting. They are getting great reviews, especially the VP9 and they will probably be in my possession by the end of this year (both).

I think the newer fast twist favors the 115's, at least in mine and a couple other posts ive seen. It's a great gun when the trigger is done. Got mine about 4 months ago, but I have to say, a new Sig P320 for $550 w/ 2 mags and 2 extra mags as a limited time offer, or the new H&K VP9 for $650 would be VERY tempting. They are getting great reviews, especially the VP9 and they will probably be in my possession by the end of this year (both).

He could also look at the CZ P-09, its been getting good reviews.