Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag pouches

wingnut

No, not in factory form anyways. The finger cutout on the bullet nose side of the pouch violates rule 8.6.2.4, although rule 8.6.1.4 says that carriers may be modified to meet IDPA rules.

So, one could get creative and make it work I think. As long as you can mount it to pass the 3/4" dowel test, and cover the entire outer face, then yeah. That's how I see it anyway.

There's a side by side comparison of 3 varieties of the ghost pouch.

From left to right: SS quick release - double stack quick release - double stack belt mount

post-36011-0-38901000-1404664912_thumb.j

The quick release models definitely fail in a big way. The threaded version is noticeably closer to the belt line, but I'm uncertain it actually makes the cut. I don't have a dowel on me to test the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

The dowel test passes just fine with the factory belt mounts. I actually tested this yesterday because I'd like to use the same mag pouches across all the shooting sports I participate in.

I've got a little extra around the sides, but I am by no means large and I actually had to push the dowel in to my side quite far before they would fail the test.

You can see from the pic I pushed the dowel in to my side almost its whole diameter and they still pass.

photo11_zps57cef87c.jpg

I also am chasing an answer on this

Pictured below according to rule 8.6.1.4. Ammunition carriers may be modified to meet IDPA rules, I would think these should be legal.

image_zps59901919.jpg

Edited by Vanniek71

Looks like this would be considered legal for IDPA as it meets all rule requirements. I didn't get official word from IDPA HQ, but a pretty prominent name in the IDPA circles gave me his thoughts on it.

• 6 months later...

I might be a little late on this but, as far as the two pictures with the pouches on the belt are they set up for bullet facing out carry? 8.6.2.7 Bullets out magazine pouches are not allowed.

As far as having to modify it, I don't think you would have to? The rule specicly mentions "the outer tace" which is the side wall of the mag. 8.6.2.4 Carrier must cover the entire outer face of the portion of the magazine inside the carrier. The outer face is the side away from the shooters body.

And lastly as long as from the bottom inside of the mag measures up at least 2" to the bottom of the finger slot you are good to go without modification. 8.6.2.3 Carrier must cover 2 (50.8 mm) of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the back

flat of the magazine tube.

This is taken from the new rule book effective March 1st 2015

Yeah ruling from IDPA on them is they aren't allowed to be used bullet nose out.

You could run them bullets forward but you have to cover the slot that's cut out of the face.

Edited by Vanniek71