Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Weak Ejection

ES13Raven

It seems counter-intuitive to try a STRONGER recoil spring in a gun that is having ejection issues. You're resisting the slide's opening and slowing rearward velocity, which should make it eject even softer.....

Incorrect Recoil Springs will usually show themselves by either ejecting right-and-forward (too strong of a spring and the round is actually not being ejected until the slide is starting to close) or an ejection pattern that is in the next county (a sign of too weak a spring).

I'd want to go through the gun with a fine-toothed comb and see if there's an underlying issue that is asymptomatic with strong Major loads.

The first test that I'd do checks whether the extractor is holding the fired case tightly until the ejector actually knocks the round off of the breechface and out of the gun.

Load a mag with one round and use that to chamber said round. Remove the mag and stow it. Now, fire the chambered round and watch what happens to it after the case is extracted. Did it get kicked out to the right like normal? (Or, as I suspect) Did it just dribble down the magwell and fall out of the bottom of the gun?

If it does fall out of the bottom, you've got an extractor issue. It could be one of three things:

1. dirty extractor and/or channel (prevents extractor from closing all the way in to the case rim);

2. bad Extractor Spring (not exerting a lot of pressure on the extractor); or

3. wrong Extractor Spring-Loaded Bearing (that is what actually sets the amount of pre-load on the Extractor Spring).

It seems counter-intuitive to try a STRONGER recoil spring in a gun that is having ejection issues.

Now that I think about it, I think it needs an 11# spring. I have one and will give it a try.

This is on a brand new Gen4 35 so I don't think it's a dirty channel etc.

Wolff has this on their website:

As a rule of thumb, if your spent casings are first hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet, a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure reliable functioning.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it needs an 11# spring. I have one and will give it a try.

Still getting pretty weak ejection with an 11# ISMI spring on a Jager Gen4 steel guide rod. I will cut off 2 coils and see how that does.