Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Conversion

Shotz

Are there any accuarcy or reliability issues converting a Glock 35 to a 9mm?

I'm wanting to convert it for Steel Challenge. Would the springs need to be changed as well as the barrel using sub PF 9mm loads?

I have a 35 and I bought the EFK 9mm conversion barrel. I shoot factory 115 FMJ ammo in it. I use the same recoil spring as Glock specified same spring for both the 34 and 35 (at least that's what I read) so I just kept using the same recoil spring. I kept the same extractor/ejector and it seemed to work fine.

In my experience, the stock recoil spring will work with factory ammo, and the extractor and ejector will as well. That being said, if you use ultra low pf ammo, the stock rsa might not work, need a lower weight for reliability. Same with the ejector and extractor, might work 98% of the time, but those 2% will screw up your times

I'm running a Gen4 35 with a KKM conversion barrel and an IMSI 13lbs recoil spring on a captured tungsten recoil rod. I didn't change the ejector or extractor and have 0 failures in 1000 rounds. Your results may vary. I do know that this is the softest shooting gun I own with 4.2 of N320 and a 124 MG. It's like a .22!

Mine took some tweeking. According to kkm they engineer their conversion barrels to work with .40 ejectors and extractors. I ended up with an extended .40 ejector and had to try several .40 extractors till one worked 100%. I run a 14lb spring on a SS uncaptured rod shooting 9mm major. Like peter said the heaver conversion barrel and slide takes some spring experimentation to get right. I also had my slide lightened.

Before spending the money try 2.8 grains of titegroup and a 180 grn bullet in your .40. You may like it enough to stay .40. I use this load for IDPA and it's great.

Edited by captain037

Thanks Jim and Captain!

I currently load my 9mm with TG do I might try it with .40.

The reason I was was curious is I don't know what I will end up with...a G34 or G35. I'm thinking about finding a trade for my CZ 75 so I wanted to know if I could keep my options open depending on the deal.

I now feel comfortable that I could go either way but I'm kind of leaning towards the 35 since I could do 9mm and .40

I put a Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel in my 35 and I used a 13 pound spring as that's what I use for my 34 and it works fine. The only other thing I would change, if you wanted to, was the ejector but even that's not needed. Mine runs fine with the .40 ejector. Kicks the brass right out. As long as you don't need the 9mm for something like USPSA Production or IDPA, both of which I believe the conversion isn't legal, then go with the 35.

I will second what Captain said though. The .40 with a 180 and TG is so light shooting it is like cheating LOL

If 180 and TG shoots that light, I might stay with it in .40.

Either way, I have decided on a G35!!

Now I just need to find one that I can trade my CZ 75 for.

Thanks for everyone's input!