Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mag/Grams follower issue

Got some new STI 140mm mags and put some Grams followers and springs in them and noticed they did not feed very well. I have an older mag that was bought used and do not know the brand of spring/follower in it, but it feeds flawlessly. You can see the STI/Grams combo the bullet has a much steeper ramp while just sitting in the mag. What would be causing this issue, should I have gone with another brand of follower? Can this be fixed?

Thanks

Derek

post-54551-0-69385400-1404283317_thumb.j

Check your feed lip dimensions and also remember that the follower all the way to the right is the STI factory follower that is a different profile than the Grams. The Grams will point more upward than the STI. What is your OAL?

Edited by PKT1106

O.A.L is 1.240 with Berrys 124 TP.

Wha is the best feed lip dimensions for the .38sc? I see alot of mag tuning posts but the seem to mostly be talking about .40cal. The two on the left, they are wider than the mag on the right. Do you just carefully tap them closed a little with a brass hammer?

What is the best feed lip dimensions for the .38sc?

0.355" - 0.360"

I've been using Grams springs and followers in my 9mm Major, and I've never had any problems with feeding. The tube is the same as 38sc, so...

It really just looks like your feed lips have opened up on the two mags on the right.

Edited by Parallax3D

0.355" - 0.360"

What is the best way to close them? To think the magazines are brand new!

Appreciate the help and patience gentlemen, Im coming over from the precision rifle world...so magazines needing tuning to operate is a new concept to me.

I had brand new mags that were out of spec and choked my gun up pretty good. Had them tuned, the guy that tuned them said they were not even close to being in spec. I was a bit disappointed that factory new mags wouldn't work in the gun.

0.355" - 0.360"

What is the best way to close them? To think the magazines are brand new!

Appreciate the help and patience gentlemen, Im coming over from the precision rifle world...so magazines needing tuning to operate is a new concept to me.

Give Grams a call: 949.548.3745

Why are people accepting these mags? Why aren't you returning them unaltered for exchange or refund? If you got a scope that wouldn't even turn on out of the box you'd return it.

Maybe they would get the hint if people would send them back.

Why are people accepting these mags? Why aren't you returning them unaltered for exchange or refund? If you got a scope that wouldn't even turn on out of the box you'd return it.

Maybe they would get the hint if people would send them back.

Trust me the thought had crossed my mind, but after reading and even talking to some industry people that it is the "norm." I agree, disappointing for new mags to be like this, but I dont want to go through exchanging over and over till I get some that are right.

I just ordered the Dawson tune kit and hopefully I will get them to run nice and be able to keep them up to par in the future.

Pull the sprin out of the good mag and use it as a guide for the bad ones. Does the gun fail to feed? Takes a little tap to get it into battery? If the good spring is longer take a coil off the bad spring and re- profile the end. It may just be a tension issue. Don't stretch the bad spring if it is shorter. And check the spring thickness, they may be a bit thicker. I've brought 6 STI mags, 3 new ones and 3 of the older type. The older ones F/F nearly every round, the new mags are fine. And this is what I've done with my gunsmiths advice.

Pull the sprin out of the good mag and use it as a guide for the bad ones. Does the gun fail to feed? Takes a little tap to get it into battery? If the good spring is longer take a coil off the bad spring and re- profile the end. It may just be a tension issue. Don't stretch the bad spring if it is shorter. And check the spring thickness, they may be a bit thicker. I've brought 6 STI mags, 3 new ones and 3 of the older type. The older ones F/F nearly every round, the new mags are fine. And this is what I've done with my gunsmiths advice.

Appreciate the tips, will try that out. I did put the good follower/spring into the new mags and it seemed to work better, but still requires a tap to go into battery.