Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The topic of places to shoot in Tuscon got me to thinking

bigarm

I am newly retired and am trying to convince my wife to go south for a month or two in the winter. December through February can be a little cold here. I know she would never go that long, but maybe I can squeeze a month out. If we go south, I would like to be able to shoot. Our shoots end here in October or earlier and don't start until around April. Are there shoots in the Phoenix or Tuscon area in the winter or other areas in that region and places one can find to stay? Say a long stay, reasonably priced motel or something? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

If you really want to upset your wife stay in Casa Grande. Take your pick, both cities have matches every weekend. In Tucson at the Tucson Rifle Club they even have a practice match on Tuesday mornings were you can shoot several stages over and over to hone your skills. If you like 3 gun you can't beat the 2 matches held monthly in the Phoenix area. My suggestion is to find a place to stay for 4 weeks that accommodates your budget in an area that is visually pleasing in either city. otherwise your wife is not going to be happy. Winter is high tourist season in AZ all lodging rates double or triple. Pm me if you want more info.

Art

I don't know the specific area, but might suggest checking out the VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) website. These are usually single family homes and condos available for short term rentals from a couple of days up to a couple of months where you stay, cook for yourselves, and use the home as your base of operations for exploring what the area has to offer.

Tends to be a lot more laid back and less expensive than staying in a commercial outfit. Cooking your own food acommodates special diets or preferences, and saves a ton of cash. The drawbacks are the hassle of shopping for and cooking your own food, taking care of your own creature comforts, and the lack of the resort/spa experience, if that is important to you or your wife.

I've done this a lot for big away matches and vacations, both in the US and abroad.

I don't know the specific area, but might suggest checking out the VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) website. These are usually single family homes and condos available for short term rentals from a couple of days up to a couple of months where you stay, cook for yourselves, and use the home as your base of operations for exploring what the area has to offer.

Tends to be a lot more laid back and less expensive than staying in a commercial outfit. Cooking your own food acommodates special diets or preferences, and saves a ton of cash. The drawbacks are the hassle of shopping for and cooking your own food, taking care of your own creature comforts, and the lack of the resort/spa experience, if that is important to you or your wife.

I've done this a lot for big away matches and vacations, both in the US and abroad.

Thanks, that's a great idea.

I am newly retired and am trying to convince my wife to go south for a month or two in the winter. December through February can be a little cold here. I know she would never go that long, but maybe I can squeeze a month out. If we go south, I would like to be able to shoot. Our shoots end here in October or earlier and don't start until around April. Are there shoots in the Phoenix or Tuscon area in the winter or other areas in that region and places one can find to stay? Say a long stay, reasonably priced motel or something? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I winter in the phoenix area. Three good places to shoot.:

Rio Salado Sportsmans Club in Mesa , AZ - trap[. sporting clays, numerous pistol, rifle , air gun, machine gun etc matches going on every week. check their website.

Ben Avery Shooting Facilty - just north of Phoenix on Dept of ish and Game property, a huge complex with numerpous skeet, trap fiellds, 1000 yd rifle range, numerous rifle and pistol ranges spread over ca a mile in length.

Phoenix Rod & Gun Club.on the south side of Phoenix, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, bullseye pistol, ranges for rifle and pistol in somewhat cramped quarters. The long ranhg rifle backdrop ios the South Mtn range.

I am a member of Rio Salado Gun Club and shoot here at least one aweek. But I also shoot ca once aweek at the other two ranges.

I don't kmnow about Tucson shooting but Phoenix atrea is a shooters paradise. Within 20 to 35 miles from my unit in Fountain Hills I can shoot in competition seven days a week.