Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp or no Comp

jimreed1948

I have a G17 that I'm starting to work on for Steel Challenge. For USPSA I shoot production with a tricked out G34. I have been using a .147gr Berry's with Titegroup powder. Accurate load and mild recoil. Should I stay with the same load and not run a comp or go all out. I will be using a C-More sight. The main reason I'm thinking about not using the comp is the availability of powder. N320 just cannot be found.

Jim, if you're using a C-More, you may as well use a comp.

But, to make the comp work the best, you would want to use a

slower powder (not N320 or TG) - something like WAC or HS6.

And lighter bullets (make the gas work the comp better).

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

A comp will benefit you regardless of what powder you are using. I am using WST for my 3 gun loads and it cuts the muzzle rise and recoil significantly. Even with the faster powder. I did design my comp specifically for my load and powder but any comp designed for minor loads should be effective.

Here is another thread I posted on regarding the same issue.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196961

If you are going to develop a specific load for SC, I assume it will be sub minor. With a sub minor load I'm not sure there is enough gas to make the comp work effectively ... However, it does look cool on the gun so I would still do it .... My current SC load is 101 PF with recoil and muzzle rise not being an issue ...

If you are going to develop a specific load for SC, I assume it will be sub minor. With a sub minor load I'm not sure there is enough gas to make the comp work effectively ... However, it does look cool on the gun so I would still do it .... My current SC load is 101 PF with recoil and muzzle rise not being an issue ...

What is your current load?

I say skip the comp for now, add the dot, use ~3gr of your titegroup under a 115gr and a really light recoil spring. I think you'll like it :)

I believe I'm running a 11 lb spring right now on my G34. Would this be a good starting point?

I say skip the comp for now, add the dot, use ~3gr of your titegroup under a 115gr and a really light recoil spring. I think you'll like it :)

I believe I'm running a 11 lb spring right now on my G34. Would this be a good starting point?
11# is a good starting (and likely ending) point. Glocks are different than 1911 / CZ platforms in that the recoil spring not only brings the slide forward to reload the gun, it has to provide enough tension to keep the striker cocked. Edited by peterthefish