Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K10 mag, problems with aluminum baseplate

So i have a k10 mag. I bought some used mags with the tanfoglio alum base plates. Well those aluminum base plates do not line up with plastic piece that holds the bottom of the spring. The issue is that little round dimple sticking out of that plastics piece doesnt go in the hole in the aluminum base plate. Im i just stupid or somethin? I've tried and tried but there's no lining it up. This just seems odd to me as its a tanfoglio base plate that works with the k40 and the k9 mags but not the k10.

I 'think' the problem is that the K9 and K40 mags are both small frame. the K10 mags I think are large frame like the 38 super mags.

they are slightly different. so bases from a small frame mag wont work on a large frame mag.

Im kinda befuddled here because the k9 mag it fits on is from a a newer elite matches mag that came with the gun. Are you saying that mag is a small frame mag. I didnt think small frame mag fit in large frame or is that where I'm confused?

Edited by Savageman25

The older aluminum base plate takes a different base plate retainer, which is metal, not plastic. You don't even need that retainer plate at all since the aluminum base plate has a screw to hold it in place so you can just run without the retainer.

ahh I see. thanks nealio.

and to answer the other question from savageman, yes you're correct. a small frame mag will not fit in a large frame gun. and of course large frame mag will not fit in a small frame gun. the small frame tanfo mags are basically the same as CZ 75 type mags.

I'm using K10 mags in my .40 gun with Stoeger basepads. It might be a different basepad, but I initially had the same issue with the plastic retainer plate not lining up with the hole in the aluminum basepad, on the K10 mags (K40's work fine out of the box).

After trying a few things, I found that I had to cut off the little plastic tab on the front of the plastic retainer plate in the K10 mags. For some reason this piece is different in the K10 mags, even though they are all large frame. Cut that little tab off, slide the baseplate on, and give the front of the baseplate a smack in order to push the plastic piece forward, and I bet it will snap into place in the hole in the baseplate.