Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad load question

Looking at Taccom and Invictus and have a question to those who have used both: Is the spacing between the adjacent rows in a quad of shells, such as Invictus 12 a benefit over something like the Taccom quads, where the rims of 2 rows of shells are practically touching?

Without first hand experience, I am guessing that rims touching can lead to the two rows entangling as first row is shoved into the mag tube, dragging on the 2 shells still in the palm awaiting their turn to load.

On the other hand (no pun intented) maybe having the two rows super close to each other makes it easier to not lose grip and drop a shell or 2.

Any info would be appreciated as I am considering taking the plunge and want to buy once...

Looking at the design and application difference, realizing there are fans of both companies and some past drama relating who did what first...

Thanks in advance,

Mark

When you pull the shells out of the carrier, they are going to get smashed together. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just how quads work. I have never used the Invictus ones, but they look great and a lot of people love them. I'm still using the TacCom carriers because it's what I bought when I got started and I can load as fast as anybody with them.

I learned quads on TacComs and found the tight spacing helpful. Now I use Invictus and I don't really notice that they are a touch farther apart, and my hands are smallish. The spread on the Invictus caddies makes it easier to pull two rather than four when you need to.

You don't want them right beside each other even you go to put them in the gun anyway as your outside pair has to clear the outside of the loading port, handguard, etc.

When you pull the shells out of the carrier, they are going to get smashed together. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just how quads work. I have never used the Invictus ones, but they look great and a lot of people love them. I'm still using the TacCom carriers because it's what I bought when I got started and I can load as fast as anybody with them.

Yep. The closer the better, which is why the quad load specific caddies were developed. The most efficient way is caddies that have two rows spaced very closely together, but separated from the next two rows. When you pull them, your hand will slam them together regardless, so it's easier to maintain the grab if they're already in the right spot.

Taccom and Invictus caddies are both great. I recommend to try both if you can and pick the one you like better. Taccom has a little better retention, the grab seems a little easier out of Invictus.

You don't want them right beside each other even you go to put them in the gun anyway as your outside pair has to clear the outside of the loading port, handguard, etc.

If you've figured out how to keep them separated in your hand, your dexterity at speed is an order of magnitude greater than mine. :)

Thanks to everyone that responded! Sounds like there is no bad choice between the IP and Taccom. Cannot check them both out as no one in my circles has them AFAIK. Price is a small factor with the advantage going to Taccom.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Mark

If you are looking to quad you need to take a look at the new Taccom Duelin Dueces. I've been trying to off and on to load quads for over a year without much success. Then I got these caddies with intention of getting more shells on my belt for loading duals. With the caddies set so the shells are horizontal quads came easy as you just pull the shells up to get them to release from the caddies.