Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI edge fails to extract after 150-180 rounds

dansedgli

I've got a 9mm STI edge.

Like clockwork, after about 150-180 rounds I'll have fail to extract issues. It will leave a spent case in the chamber and try to feed another live round. Once it starts to happen it happens every 2 or 3 rounds.

If I take the top end off, wipe the rails down and re-oil the slide it will fix it.

What I don't get is how this fixes the extraction issue. Wouldn't extractor tension be a separate issue altogether?

Any ideas? I'd also like to get more rounds out of it before this problem starts. I'd have to clean it halfway through each day otherwise.

Thanks,
Dan

Recoil master or guide rod? If you are using guide rod, what # spring are you using. How is the extractor tension? Is the extractor tunnel dirty? AFTEC maybe your solution but you may want to check everything else 1st.

Give the extractor tunnel and extractor a good cleaning with Alcohol. Don't put any lube on the extractor or tunnel it will just gum things up. Try giving a little extra tension on the extractor. I have never had much luck with STI extractors. Personally, I like Aftec extractors, but plenty of guys have good luck with Wilson or Egw.

Check extractor tension. Maybe the oil increases slide velocity enough to make it extract, but it still sounds like an extractor issue. The barrel throat may be a bit tight and need a light polish.

I assume Wilson still sells the gauges used to measure extractor tension. You need to keep it at about 15 - 20 ounces.

Inspect the extractor tip under a glass to make sure the hook is square and sharp.

Dumb idea: make sure you have the 9mm/38S extractor which is different than the .40/.45 extractor.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks guys. I'll take it apart today and give it a good clean and add more tension.

It's got a recoil master in it. Not sure if it's light or heavy but it feels much easier to rack the slide then my Trojan with a 14lb spring and flgr.