Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Gun Finish

2gun

Right you are. IPSC interpretations say

Appendix D4

19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited. Prohibited modifications include changing

the original colour and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

I'm assuming (check w/IPSC first) you could re-blue a blued gun or re-chrome a chromed gun, but no chroming blued guns or vice-versa.

USPSA says it's OK:

The Board of Directors has reviewed an earlier interpretation of the rules, one regarding finishes to guns in Production division, and have decided to rescind this interpretation.

It will be now legal in the US to have your Production gun finish cosmeticly enhanceed,eg.Teflon,NP3,hard chrome, matt finish hard chrome, bright finish hard chrome etc., the Board of Directors felt that there is no advantaged gained, nor is it a ruling that could be enforced consistently.

Let me know if there's more information and I'll add it, otherwise I believe the question is answered, so I'll close the thread.

Opening back up.. more info is available..

Thank you, Shred.

According to Mr Pinto in some older threads, if you refinish your IPSC production gun, you can only have it done at factory. You can not reblue a blued gun at your local gunsmith, for example.

Vlad

I think this interpretation (whoever made the call, I haven't seen it published on IPSC's FAQ) would fall under unenforcable. shred posted the rule, changing the finish is not permitted, but repairing a finish, just like repairing a gun with OFM parts, is permitted by the letter of the rule and a look-up of the word *change* in a dictionary...

Let's not be silly. Does every draw *change the finish* of my gun? Sure does! A new gun after every draw in PD? Gotta be kidding...

--Detlef