Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

poppers and paper. .need insight

tnorman

I went to the range today for a little target practice. I set up the paper at 100 yds. I shot close to 100 rounds and couldn't come close to a group. I noticed the range had added three popper targets. I consistently hit the poppers and it was my first time ever shooting at them. I can't figure out why I could not group but I could hit the poppers. Any thoughts?

There are techniques for shooting great groups. Had a benchrest guy work with me a couple of times. I've forgotten much of it but it was amazing to watch my groups shrink. How you hold the gun on the rest, having a good rest, with a good bag under the butt, your breathing, feeling the wind on your face before every shot, pulling the trigger and not the gun, returning the gun to the same spot every time, it's a whole process.

One group outta 100 rounds is what baffles me. I was shooting 1.50" groups at 75 yds a couple weeks back and I cleaned the barrel and gun. I guess maybe I'll try better ammo next and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by tnorman

When my barrels degrade in accuracy that fast, I use Sweets in them right away to cut the copper fouling. Groups return to normal immediately. Just don't leave it in the barrel very long, as it is ammonia based and will eat your barrel if left for long enough.