Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hot .40cal/135g load HELP!!!

joelaw99

Vhit shows 8.3 grs of 3N37 as a starting load under a 135 gr Nosler. in 40 S&W with a published velocity of 1322 fps and an oal of 1.126"

Hogdon shows 10.2 gr of HS-6 for a similar velocity. Note this is a MAX load, reduce 10% to start.

I have a couple of loads for 135 plated rainiers. Both make major but not as fast as what you want. The first I used was N350. 8.6 gr / WSP / OAL 1.155. The rainier bullet is fairly short (like compared to a 180) so the effective case volume is probably near what you would get with a 180 out 1.17 - 1.18 or so. This load chronoed for a PF of around 168 or so out of a Schuemann 6" Tribrid-II barrel. There was some unburnt powder scattered around the gun.

The load I am currently using is ~ 8.2 gr of N340. I have gone back to an OAL near 1.170. The last batch I chroned came in around an average of 171 (1266 fps).

Neither load showed signs of excess pressure but be careful, you are getting up there!

The Maass site shows some loads you may be interested in.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Guest Larry Cazes

Just curious as an aside.......Why go with such a light bullet? I would think that at these velocities the recoil and blast would be prohibitive.

Joe,

If you need your bullet velocity to be 1350 to 1400, you will not be able to use a plated bullet. Plated bullets should not exceed 1350V, so the Nosler 135gr. JHP bullet is where you may want to start. As for powder, I use V V N350 8.5gr. in my Open Glock 22 with a KKM barrel and a Brian Hawley EMI comp with four top main ports and two ports on each side. Hodgdon's HS-6 or HS-7 will work as well. Federal primers work good in Glock Open guns, my AOL is 1.120 to 1.125. Like ChuckS said go to the Jeff MAASS site for more IPSC .40 loads. Joe why do you need to go 1350V with a 135gr. bullet that's 182.2 PF, you only need 165 PF for USPSA/IPSC? Tell us more about your gun or email me at Mell531@Hotmail.com.

DVC,

Mell

Hey Joe where you goin' with that gun in your hand? Jimi Hendrix

(I had to say it)

Joe,

Your gun is very interesting and good looking. When you say homebuilt job, do you mean you did all the work on this Open Glock gun, please give more info on parts and work? I was talking to gunsmith Brian Hawley about having a V6 port job done on my barrel and I see you have one on yours. The pictured gun looks like a Glock 24, great job. Okay if you have a 6.02" barrel and a comp about 1.50" which is about 7.50" long comp and barrel. Why do you need the velocity of over 1350fps? Joe if you go up to 1300fps X 135gr. bullet = 175.5PF you can use a plated bullet that cost less then jacketed. I changed from Montana Gold JHP to Rainier PHP bullets and find that the Rainier's are accurate. You also may want to try the HS-6 or HS-7 Hodgdon powder, Vihtavuori is getting to expensive and Hodgdon powder is very clean burning. Send more info about your gun, I'm saving the picture. I don't have any pictures of my new G22 Open gun but if you go to the EMI site you can see the top half of my gun, it's the one with the Docter dot :

http://www.experimentalmachining.com/gallery.html .

DVC,

Mell

i ordered the 24 slide from caspian and milled the top out and did the flutes on both sides to lighten it up, i think its actually a little lighter than my 22 slide now......

got the kkm barrel uncrowned at about 6 1/2" cut it to length on the lathe and threaded it.....

made the comp from scratch (2 1/2 " round aluminum) , that was the easy part---only took about 3 hours.......

relieved the area under the trigger guard and now get my hand a 1/4" higher to the bore axis=====less flip, recoil straighter back now.......

it was a copy of panarama by nc star,,,piece of junk. the elevation nut pulled right thru the base. im making a new larger nut for it and using coarse threaded cap screw to try to fix it, but i wouldnt recommend it...i only paid 70.00 new online would be ok for a low recoiling gun like 22 or maybe an ar but not an open gun...

• 2 weeks later...

i backed off the max load for hs-6 from the listed 10.2g to 9.3g and i got 1475fps out of a 6 1/4" kkm that has six ports in the barrel and a comp

glad i didnt try the 10.2g,,,,im guessing about 1550-1625,,,the kkm might have stayed intact, but i think the case would have taken a big crap on me!!!