Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig on steel?

rack&roll

Not optimal to be competative but, I love steel challenge for working on the basic sight picture, trigger squeeze. I shoot all my guns on steel for the practice including my mig 229DAK, and 5-shot snubbies. Shoot the match, get the trigger time.

I compete with my Sigs. I have 2 Both are P226 X-5 and both 9mm. One is my stock, or Iron sight and the other is a full race gun. So mine are SAO.

I also shoot in 22lr Steel Challenge a p226 Classic 22lr. which is a dedicated 22lr. center fire pistol. Iy is a DA/SA and when shooting steel I shoot it SAO. I love my Sigs and glad to see you interest in giving your a run.

Ken

I bought this 226 Elite several years ago, shot it in a few practice matches, did well with it, but it ended up in the safe as I moved on to other gun interests. I used it last week in our local weekly practice match, and damn if I didn't do really well with it! I came in 5th overall. (really good for me) When I first got it, I sent it back for a new ejector, and while they had it I got the short trigger, (it came with the SRT) AEK, and e2 grips. After last weeks match, I reversed the mag release and I am determined to master the DA/SA trigger on it. I'm also working on the DA/SA on my CZ (in my avatar). But I need to stick with one or the other...so the 226 it is! Thanks for the encouragement, Ken.

I switched from Limited division, shooting SA only, to Production division this summer, shooting a DA/SA pistol.

There is an adjustment period to getting acclimated to the DA first shot, but after awhile it's no big deal. Like anything else it just takes practice time. Many of the top Production shooters are shooting DA/SA pistols (EAA/Tanfoglio Stock II, CZ SP01 Shadow).

• 2 weeks later...

A steel match will be good practice for that initial DA shot. You'll get 25 draws and DA shots in a 5-stage match. Way more than a standard USPSA/IDPA match.