Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning my adjustable gas block

jhugz

I'm new to the adjustable gas block game and would like some info on tuning the gas block.

It's a SLR gas block w/ a Taccom ULW buffer tube, Comp, TT buffer spring, and a Boomfab BC. What's the best way to tune the gas. I'm literally looking for a "idiots guide to adjustable gas blocks"

Thanks,

-j

Did it not come with instructions on a card? Curious why you trust SLR to purchase their product, but not trust their instructions on adjusting it.

Mine came with instructions, which worked quite well. Try it, and if not satisfied, ask if there is a better way. Suspect not.

Edited by mpom

Turn you gas to the off position then one click out. Load 1 rd into your mag and fire the rd. Keep adjusting the gb until it will lock back reliably, no more, no less. One thing to keep in mind is if you shoot in the winter time or cold weather you may need to adjust your gas setting to compensate for the cold weather. Good luck!

Turn you gas to the off position then one click out. Load 1 rd into your mag and fire the rd. Keep adjusting the gb until it will lock back reliably, no more, no less. One thing to keep in mind is if you shoot in the winter time or cold weather you may need to adjust your gas setting to compensate for the cold weather. Good luck!

^^^ this

The ejection angle chart shown above is a good guide assuming you do not have any mechanical issues, and assuming you are using a forged type upper with brass deflector. Often slick-side DPMS uppers eject between 4:30 and 6:00 even when properly gassed, and if you have an extractor with too sharp a hook or burrs, it will release the brass late, giving symptoms of other issues. If you are re-using your bolt head, and it gave good service before, a combination of the two ideas above is best. Start with too little gas (deliberate short-stroke), then increase until it reliably locks the bolt back on an empty mag. Look at where your brass lands to ensure you didn't go too far. Goes without saying you must use a quality mag that was working the bolt latch properly to begin with.

It's a DPMS slick slide lefty upper so the chart won't quite work as is. :) I didn't receive the product yet but I'm glad the gas block has good directions. I'm not doubting SLR just wanted to get a head start on what I needed to do. Thanks for the input.

In cold weather air is more dense, so would I remove clicks?

SentryINS.jpg

Sorry that I came across as a smart ass, did not know you did not have the instructions.

Use the weakest ammo you have, so it will function reliably with all ammo.

I ended up on setting #4, from fully closed, many folks end up at setting 5.

You can also experiment with lighter buffers, but setting might have to be changed if the buffer is changed.

Main thing as everyone says, 100% lock back on empty is key, not so much ejection pattern.

Edited by mpom

Just set up similar rig recently:

SLR block, TTI buffer spring, JP LMOS, TACCOM ULW

Chilled my ammo in the freezer before heading to the range and kept them in a soft cooler to stay cool.

Ended up at setting 5.

The Boomfab carrier might let you run at setting 4.

JP SCS, and LMOS put me at 5 clicks for reliable lock back w/ PMC bronze. 4 clicks would lock back about 50% of time. A full weight system is at 8 clicks or so.

Edited by NisilS14

Chilled my ammo in the freezer before heading to the range and kept them in a soft cooler to stay cool.

Clever.

Utah= 100+ degreeF summer days, -20 degreeF winter nights.

In addition to a suppressor and developing handloads, I'm always futzing around with the gas block.

It's a DPMS slick slide lefty upper so the chart won't quite work as is.

My upper is slickside as well. Brass seems to fly over my strongside shoulder into a nice little pile.

After you have your setting dialed adjusting from closed to open, I would suggest opening the block all the way and also adjusting down towards closed:

Hopefully you'll reach the same setting, but the benefit would be that you'll feel and hear what "overgassed" is for your system and get a better feel for the sweet spot of your rifle.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Clever.

Utah= 100+ degreeF summer days, -20 degreeF winter nights.

In addition to a suppressor and developing handloads, I'm always futzing around with the gas block.

Can't take credit for it, as I saw it mentioned somewhere before. Being that it is warm weather out, I didn't want to have to go back and set the gas block all over again once cooler/cold weather hit later in the fall, i.e. reliable set it and forget it is what I prefer. :)