Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another springs question

ericridebike

I have a Gen 3 G34 that currently has the Zev Tech competition spring kit in it, minus the reduced power striker spring(left the stock one in for reliability with factory ammo). It also has the Zev Tech V4 Race connector. It's primary purpose has been for 3 Gun use, may do some IDPA, and USPSA as well. I just got back from a trip to the Phoenix area and got to visit Glockmeister's store while I was there. I picked up one of their stainless guide rods(captured, but can switch springs) . I ended up getting a 13 and 15# recoil spring for it. Just wanted to make sure my understanding is correct regarding the springs. From what I've read, I should most likely be ok using the 15# spring with the stock striker spring! but if I switch to the 13#, I should probably put in the reduced power striker spring to prevent OOB discharges?

I just got my reloading stuff together and will be reloading for it, but as yet I haven't actually loaded any to work up a load for it. Just wanted to make sure I am understanding the spring thing and what should work in my gun.

In Gen 3 Glocks.

I used the 15# ISMI spring with a 4.5#, 5.0# or OEM 5.5# spring with no issues.

I used the 13# ISMI spring with a 4.0# and 4.5# spring with no issues.

I only used the 4.0# spring with a lightweight firing pin to avoid light strikes as I use factory ammunition.

A stock 34 spring should be 13lb so you are fine. You could probably drop to an 11lb if you needed but any lower I would definitely switch striker springs to match. Just make sure empty and dry fire watching for the slide to move out of battery. If it doesn't you are fine, if it does then change striker springs to match the mainspring.

A stock 34 spring should be 13lb so you are fine. You could probably drop to an 11lb if you needed but any lower I would definitely switch striker springs to match. Just make sure empty and dry fire watching for the slide to move out of battery. If it doesn't you are fine, if it does then change striker springs to match the mainspring.

OEM spring in a Gen 3 G34 is 17#.

In Gen 3 Glocks.

I only used the 4.0# spring with a lightweight firing pin to avoid light strikes as I use factory ammunition.

Thanks for the info. I need to order a 4 & 4.5 # striker spring to try out with the 13# recoil spring then. The Zev Tech reduced power striker spring that I have that came with their Competition Spring Kit is listed as a 2#, so I don't think I wanna go that low & risk light primer strikes.

In Gen 3 Glocks.

Thanks for the info. I need to order a 4 & 4.5 # striker spring to try out with the 13# recoil spring then. The Zev Tech reduced power striker spring that I have that came with their Competition Spring Kit is listed as a 2#, so I don't think I wanna go that low & risk light primer strikes.

The one in your kit that says 2.0# is about the same as a Wolff 4.0# spring and the 3.0# is about the same as a Wolff 4.5# spring.

They are referring to the trigger pull using those springs when using the complete trigger kit.

In Gen 3 Glocks.

The one in your kit that says 2.0# is about the same as a Wolff 4.0# spring and the 3.0# is about the same as a Wolff 4.5# spring.

They are referring to the trigger pull using those springs when using the complete trigger kit.

Oh ok cool. I'll give that one a try with the 13# then. Thanks!

In Gen 3 Glocks.

Oh ok cool. I'll give that one a try with the 13# then. Thanks!

I just realized that we are running a similar setup!

I just went tru 100 round of commercial 115gn, no failure! And both muzzle flip and felt recoiled was reduced. I am currently running:

- Jager SS guide rod.

- 13# ISMI.

- ZEV Connector, Plunger and reduced Striker Spring.

I like it!

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update. I ended up putting in the Zev Tech 2# striker spring with the 13# recoil spring. Took it out Saturday and had two failures to fire due to light primer strikes in around 100 rds fired. Both rounds did fire on a second attempt. One was with some Tula 115 gr factory and the other was with my reloads(Berry's 124gr RN, power pistol 5.5gr, Winchester SPP, assorted brass). Disappointed to say the least. So I ordered a Wolff striker spring kit that comes with 4#, 4.5#, & 5# springs. Plan on trying out the 4.5# spring first and see how it goes. Also considering maybe a Zev Tech skeletonized striker with the extended tip, but will see how the new springs do before I spend money on one of those.

fwiw:

9mm Minor PF Glock 17/34:

- If I'm running the factory striker, I leave the factory spring on w/ Factory Recoil assembly BUT usually a #15 spring on a steel rod

Ammo:

New Box/Can Manuf. Ammo

Defense Load Type Pressure

- If I'm running a Ext. Tip LW Striker w/ a reduced power/lb. striker spring: I'll run a #13/#15 recoil spring

Ammo:

* Reloads; 124/147 grain @ 130/135 PF.

fwiw: Jager or ZEX/GW Lightweight Steel Extended Tip striker is the best bet with the reduced striker spring weight & lighting off primers consistently

Edited by SPDGG

fwiw:

9mm Minor PF Glock 17/34:

- If I'm running the factory striker, I leave the factory spring on w/ Factory Recoil assembly BUT usually a #15 spring on a steel rod

Ammo:

New Box/Can Manuf. Ammo

Defense Load Type Pressure

- If I'm running a Ext. Tip LW Striker w/ a reduced power/lb. striker spring: I'll run a #13/#15 recoil spring

Ammo:

* Reloads; 124/147 grain @ 130/135 PF.

fwiw: Jager or ZEX/GW Lightweight Steel Extended Tip striker is the best bet with the reduced striker spring weight & lighting off primers consistently

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Edited by ericridebike

• 2 weeks later...

Match your recoil spring the PF of your ammo. If you're shooting factory ammo, I would suggest staying with the 17# spring (DO get a SS guide rod, though). Going to a 13# spring will leave the gun with less resistance to the slide and will just beat up your frame. If you choose to reload to minor power factor, then a 13# spring is a good idea. If you load to minor power factor with a factory spring, there is a risk of failure to eject.