Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is wrong with this picture?

Flexmoney

Sooo...

I am actually thinking of using steel noshoots in a level III tournament that is coming up. We have used them in the past locally as penalty targets. Are you saying that this would be iffy, as in protestable?

I had hoped to use the steel NS's to partially mask the shoot targets from one position but leave them open from another. This means setting the NS's apart from the shoot targets, which creates the problem of shoot throughs if I use paper instead of steel. And I really do want the "pucker factor", as Troy put it.

Okay, I'll do what ya wrote (which I finally read). I'll leave the steel in place, paint it black, but attach a paper NS directly over the steel silhouette.

:D

Okay, I'll do what ya wrote (which I finally read). I'll leave the steel in place, paint it black, but attach a paper NS directly over the steel silhouette.

If there is much chance that the penalty target will be hit, it is not such a good idea.

Any shot that hits the steel is going to shred the penalty target on top. Try it if you don't believe me.

If there is much chance that the penalty target will be hit, it is not such a good idea.

Any shot that hits the steel is going to shred the penalty target on top. Try it if you don't believe me.

There's a solution though. Use spacers and wood between the paper and the metal.

Sooo...

I am actually thinking of using steel noshoots in a level III tournament that is coming up. We have used them in the past locally as penalty targets. Are you saying that this would be iffy, as in protestable?

I don't think it is just "iffy", I think it is plain illegal. (At any level of match.)

I'd be afraid to put them in a match...just to have somebody ask to get the stage thrown out (after a bad run?).

I'd probably go with Troy's idea, paint them as hard-cover. Heck, I predict that shooters will be more likely a "hose-a-little"...and might end up with misses... or, ringing the steel (which brings in that "pucker factor").

I really started this thread after I was thinking about targets (for our Level III match coming up in Ohio)...and that steel "IPSC" NS popped into my head.

Weren't those steel no-shoots in front of the windmill targets on stages 4 and 16 of this year's Handgun Nationals?

I can't remember for sure - the thought of shooting those crazy spinning targets caused my mind to go blank during the walk through. :wacko:

Weren't those steel no-shoots in front of the windmill targets on stages 4 and 16 of this year's Handgun Nationals?

I can't remember for sure - the thought of shooting those crazy spinning targets caused my mind to go blank during the walk through. :wacko:

Yep...they were. They were also at the 2003 FGN's (as DP meantioned earlier).

:ph34r:

Sooo...

I don't think it is just "iffy", I think it is plain illegal. (At any level of match.)

I'd be afraid to put them in a match...just to have somebody ask to get the stage thrown out (after a bad run?).

I'd probably go with Troy's idea, paint them as hard-cover. Heck, I predict that shooters will be more likely a "hose-a-little"...and might end up with misses... or, ringing the steel (which brings in that "pucker factor").

I really started this thread after I was thinking about targets (for our Level III match coming up in Ohio)...and that steel "IPSC" NS popped into my head.

Would Ivanhu and Wide45 suggestions be legal, Flex? The way they have it, it's a paper NS, that happens to be backed by an inpenetrable identical silhouette that is hard cover. And all targets are inpenetrable in any case right? What scores the penalty is the paper NS, not the hard cover behind it, I think.

Sooo...

Would Ivanhu and Wide45 suggestions be legal, Flex? The way they have it, it's a paper NS, that happens to be backed by an inpenetrable identical silhouette that is hard cover. And all targets are inpenetrable in any case right? What scores the penalty is the paper NS, not the hard cover behind it, I think.

I don't see why not. It's kinda like the Darkhouse at the Nats. The walls are wood backed with steel, right? The purpose is to prevent shots passing through (steel) and rebounding (wood). All you're doing is preventing the shots from passing through the NS into the spinning target. I think it makes things less complicated (you don't have to worry about whether or not shoot-throughs occured) and is not illegal.

I'd say that the suggestion to put wooden spacers and paper no-shoots in front of the (now) metallic hardcover is plainly legal, according to the rules.

The onlydrawback is that you'll have to replace the paper no-shoot each time it gets hit, because the splatter will pretty much render it useless... ;)

The only drawback is that you'll have to replace the paper no-shoot each time it gets hit, because the splatter will pretty much render it useless...

The wood should make it better, but it won't be perfect.

The way they have it, it's a paper NS, that happens to be backed by an inpenetrable identical silhouette that is hard cover. And all targets are inpenetrable in any case right? What scores the penalty is the paper NS, not the hard cover behind it, I think.

Sounds good to me. It seems it would be just like putting a NS on a wall.

I'd be sure to test it out...make sure hits on the NS don't tear everything else up. And, replacing NS targets during a major could slow things down quite a bit.

Of, course...as you mentioned...we still can't put them upside-down (but, I don't think that is an issue with what you are talking about doing).

(Sam...lol...)

The ......... Clown ........... :blink:

Darn it, Kyle. I had almost succeeded in forgetting about that thing.

I think it was 1/2 inch plywood, so it would have been possible for a shoot through to maybe knock down a popper (Range Equip. Failure). The wood backer was thick enough though to remove any grease mark on a shoot through to a paper target.

We try to use steel plate as (really) hard cover behind any walls that partially obscure poppers - completely avoids the shoot through issue! A steel backer on the clown's ports however, would have been too heavy for the activator.

I hate windmills no matter if they have no shoots or hard cover in front of them. The one on Stage 13 at the Nationals killed me. Might have had something to do with fog/haze first thing in the morning, sun peaking over the berm in my eyes, smoke in the air from the old 45, and the array being too far away. Either way, my score sucked. I missed fast though.

At least I did fine on the remaining windmills in the match.