Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is acceptable eye protection?

Here is my conundrum for new glasses. I need prescription glasses with the best protection and optical clarity possible. I do not want RX inserts. I like the Decots but worry that they lack enough side protection, they are available in trivex which is supposedly the best optical clarity and protection available. The Rudy's would have more side protection but I don't think can be had in trivex so not as good of optical clarity and protection. Any input?

Again, I cant recommend the Smith Aegis anymore. I know you dont want inserts, but it works with the Smith Rx system and that rocks. I wore Oakley MFrames when I was deployed, on my last tour I took 2 pairs Smiths, the side protection in unmatched in my opinion.

Ill take a couple pictures tomorrow so you can get a better idea at the quality and protection levels you get with these things, granted they are kinda ugly, unless you are into the whole wraparound thing.

Now if you want to make compromises on side protection, Smith also has some straight up prescription safety/shooting glasses in their "Elite Tactical" series.

Edited by mulrick

Smith Aegis

image2_zpsec482f47.jpeg

This one is a pair of cheap, ANSI Z87.1 glasses

image_zps163c623f.jpeg

Side by side

image1_zps23c3f162.jpeg

Smith provided scale *take it for what it is worth, they are the only ones I have seen post something

ballistic-eyewear-velocity-standards1.jp

Edited by mulrick

Smith Optics Elite for me - I went with their Aegis Arcs and run either the clear or their red "ignitor" lenses. They really make the red fiber optic inserts on my Glock and on my Benelli pop. Plus their warranty is awesome. Broke a pair of Oakleys a couple months back and they would only offer me a replacement for a $50 charge.

Another +1 for the Aegis Echo's.

Been running mine for about a year and a half now and they are the best glasses for the money. A few of my buddies tried them on last night and they were impressed with the clarity. They will be ordering some as well.