Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who sells complete slide for an open pistol

wanttolearn

Hi, still very new to the sport and really appreciate all the help i've received on this forum. I recently found a 2011 frame and now need to purchase a complete top end for it. will probably go with regular 9mm...i know there are better more competitive calibres but i don't reload. Not sure who sells just the complete slide. i went to brownells but they're not lightened etc. thanks

If you just have a frame I would recommend you email Matt Cheely and have him build you an Open gun on it. Any slide you get will generally need fitted to your frame and as mentioned lightened slides are not sold off the shelf per say.

By the time you get a slide fitted to a frame and milled you may as well have the entire gun built.

Go to CCGunworks.com and contact Matt. His guns just run and run and you will not find better customer service anywhere

Brazos sells a lightened slide (1911store.com), but you would still have to fit a barrel/comp to the slide and frame as well as ream the chamber and align ream the comp plus mount a red dot optic to the frame (oh, and put some kind of finish on it like cerakote or hardchrome). It's not impossible to do, but beware you will have to buy some tools and learn the art of gunsmithing. When it's all done, you will probably have about as much invested as just ordering the gun you want from someone like Cheely, Freedom Gunworks, Akai, or whoever. On the other hand, doing it yourself is a good challenge and will make you appreciate the gun and gunsmiths greatly. If you do attempt to do your own build, I've found that using major components from the same source is a good idea (ex. STI frame, STI slide and STI barrel will be pretty close to fitting from the start because they are production parts that are meant to go together for faster assembly at the factory).