Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production USPSA questions

ss+P

Anybody who runs an M&P in Production should be running the compact pads.

Why? What's the advantage they offer?

More comfortable but the main advantage for me is that my fingers are less likely to bump the basepad for the mag behind the one I am removing from the mag holder on my belt, thus knocking the next mag out of the mag holder. The factory basepad sticks out a lot farther than the compact.

Eric

Interesting, thanks for the response. Eric. I will have to take a closer look at my mags tonight. I run 5 on my belt with ghost pouches in the bullet out configuration and haven't had a problem with knocking a magazine out.

This only applied when I used to have my mag pouches in the bullet tip forward configuration, probably not in the bullet out configuration.

eric

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could use the stagger height and distance approach taken by the Comp-Tac Belt-Feed

Belt-Feed.jpg

For CZ mag which have "tongues" that stick forward, this layout works very well.

Edited by Skydiver

that may work, but i think you will still hit the lower mag, when you reach for the top mag. i prefer the feel of smaller floor plates in my hands. i have a little carney hands though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, if:

- the mag release comes from the original manufacturer is only longer but otherwise dimensionally the same; or

- there is a version of the M&P that is in the approved Production gun list that has the extended mag release and the part fits on a M&P with the standard length

Appendix D4

21.6 ... Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. ...

Special Notes/Clarifications:
:
• A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.
• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.
Edited by Skydiver

Is it on the parts catalog of Smith & Wesson and noted as a part that is available for the M&P or other S&W guns in the Production list?

If not, is it made by S&Wesson, or by the factory S&W subcontracts to make their parts?

If not, is it offered as a part on a custom-shop gun that is in the Production list?

Is still no, then I don't think that part is legal for Production.

I doubt that anybody will notice, though unless the chrono guy, the clipboard RO (or the RO if it is a table start) is very familiar with M&P's and the available options. At that point though, it's a matter of personal integrity whether you would want to run with such a part or not.

Is it on the parts catalog of Smith & Wesson and noted as a part that is available for the M&P or other S&W guns in the Production list?

If not, is it made by S&Wesson, or by the factory S&W subcontracts to make their parts?

If not, is it offered as a part on a custom-shop gun that is in the Production list?

Is still no, then I don't think that part is legal for Production.

I doubt that anybody will notice, though unless the chrono guy, the clipboard RO (or the RO if it is a table start) is very familiar with M&P's and the available options. At that point though, it's a matter of personal integrity whether you would want to run with such a part or not.

Thanks

This Production division seems complicated ;) maybe I shoulda gone to Law School :)

Which is why I consider the creation of the Single Stack division a work of art: It managed to get the intent and flavor right with minimal rules wrangling.

The ?BOD should have been able to get it right -- they obviously learned from Production.....