Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increase or decrease recoil spring

EkuJustice

So I had my gun setup with a recoil spring that worked well but have recently been having issues with the dot bouncing all over the place after an accident that caused my grip strength to go wayyy down. Is it more common to use a heavier or lighter spring when the grip stretch goes down

I'm not trying to speak for sniper3 but I can tell you there are many facets to recoil. One of them is the slide slamming closed harder than it needs to be with a strong spring. This causes the gun to move a lot more than a weak spring will. I did a simple test with my Open gun. I was running an 8lb spring and I shot at a metric target about 10 yards away. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could and the two holes were quite a distance apart. All I did was drop a 7lb spring in and the distance between the holes shrunk by 2/3rds or so. The second shot for me was low in both tests but much less so with a lighter spring. So for my timing with my gun the gun was dipping a lot less on my fast split. As I learn to control the gun more I will probably go back to an 8 as a 7 can be a little harder on the gun.

It's much easier to compress a weaker spring so it stands to reason if you reduce the load, especially in a non compensated gun the slide would have less momentum moving back and not crash so hard causing the gun to rise.

I'm not trying to speak for sniper3 but I can tell you there are many facets to recoil. One of them is the slide slamming closed harder than it needs to be with a strong spring. This causes the gun to move a lot more than a weak spring will. I did a simple test with my Open gun. I was running an 8lb spring and I shot at a metric target about 10 yards away. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could and the two holes were quite a distance apart. All I did was drop a 7lb spring in and the distance between the holes shrunk by 2/3rds or so. The second shot for me was low in both tests but much less so with a lighter spring. So for my timing with my gun the gun was dipping a lot less on my fast split. As I learn to control the gun more I will probably go back to an 8 as a 7 can be a little harder on the gun.

It's much easier to compress a weaker spring so it stands to reason if you reduce the load, especially in a non compensated gun the slide would have less momentum moving back and not crash so hard causing the gun to rise.

I'm quite firmiliar with the facets of recoil.

I just meant that saying "lighter springs for less recoil" is so generalized, that it needs some clarification.

There is no magical answer to reducing recoil. If you shoot 170 PF ammo, there will always be the same amount of force acting in opposition to the bullet, no matter what combination of springs you use. Can a heavier spring cause the muzzle to dip more when the slide slams shut? Sure. Can a lighter spring allow the slide to slam into the frame (guide rod head) at a higher velocity? Sure, but the same amount of force is still acting upon the shooters hands, the impluse is just different than with a heavier spring.

Some shooters will have issues with the muzzle dipping... others will have issues with the sharper recoil that a light spring can cause. It's all really comes down to personal preference. There is no definitive answer.