Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Food Allergies

jessej

If that were the case, my organic produce would have not given me a reaction. It does. I've grown veggies and had fruit trees, no pesticides or nasty chemicals were used, yet I still couldn't eat any of them. This was after peeling in some cases (carrots, beets) and also after picking straight from the tree in the case of plums and tangelos, and still they make me itch. I figure it's on the level of amino acids or something to do enzymatically (is that a word?). Once whatever it is, is killed, I can eat it no big deal. But that also doesn't explain nut allergies like walnuts, pistacios, macadamias, brazils, pine nuts, and sunflower seeds. I can't eat these regardless of cooked/roasted/uncooked.

Vince

i think its jsut plain weird

i've never heard someone with such allergies

Maybe there is just too many growth hormones in chicken these days. Our produce and soils are poluted with pesticides. I'd like to think I could survive on Skittles and beef jerky if I were stuck in the forrest :lol: When I was much younger my dad used to take me crabbing so that's pretty much the only crustacean I miss eating. Oh, just thinking about it gets me drooling.

I remember hearing you are a good cook Vince. It musta been kinda complicated to taste some of your dishes.

Well, live worms are probably something I'd not try unless I was really hungry. Though the Oysters were alive until I popped the shell off, that's probably as close to eating something live as I'll go (save the acidophilus culture in milk and cheeses). You're still pretty young. I've run into people allergic to just about everything.. I'm sure I will continue to do so. Lucky for me, I'm not allergic to any medicines like some people are. Though I've avoided the flu shots due to them being based on eggs and egg products in the past.

A cooked peach depends on the peach itself. Some peaches are quite firm, others are not. Any canned peach has been cooked, so I eat a lot of canned peaches, pears, and other canned fruits. It's not hard to get around the fresh factor, I just don't have as many choices as some people. Imagine not being able to eat a fresh apple or orange. I do love pies and cobblers made from fruit. :) Strawberry/Rhubarb is one of my faves.. but of course, it's cooked :D

Vince

yeah, my brother has to get this shot for something and it had like a salmon oil based thing, and he is allergic is salmon, so they had to watch him for like an hour.

oysters, personally i think are yucky...

for some reason i dont really like cooked peaches (like in the can)

i have never gotten a flu shot cause i never needed it :lol:

cause i havent been sick for like 2 years (with flu and stuff)

i have no idea why.... :mellow:

One thing that has just accured to me. Some chicken companys will " pump " their chickens with water and or a water based liquid. Possibly Tripolyphosphate. They do this to make them look bigger and to increase the sale weight. Have you tried "Free Range" Birds? Just an Idea.

Ivan

they feed them chicken waste, cow blood with their food...

and cow parts that they don't use...

so yeah,

thats why theres that stupid chicken disease... whatever you call it

i've never heard about the weight... it makes sense...

anyways i have to go because i need to go to shooting practice B)

later... (hahaha i finally leave :) )

Like Blackdragon said, I would opt for an organic bird. One without all that junk that they like to feed them. What weebles said is also true, some processors do feed their chickens and livestock things that livestock should not be eating. I prefer to use that stuff on my crops as fertilizer (bone meal, blood meal, manure) and not eat it directly in the birds (yuck :wacko: ).

Weebles, generally the flu shot is only reccomended for people over 50 and those with compromised immune systems. Being 15 wouldn't qualify you. :)

Vince

I tried eating mud when I was little, too. It looked like chocolate frosting to us at the time, so we figured it SHOULD taste like chocolate.

It did NOT taste like chocolate... at all. It tasted like rocks and water.

Sargenv - sounds like a protein problem. But, then again, I'm not allergist, or physician, or biochemist, or... The eggs has me thinking. When an egg is cooked hard most, if not all of the proteins become denatured. Perhaps the nut proteins denature at a temp higher than roasting?

As a youngster, I could eat bananas by the dozen. It seemed to me one of the near perfect foods, cause even when they go bad, well, they're still kinda good!

Until the day I came in from work, and wolfed down a banana. My gums started burning and itching, my tongue, cheeks and throat started swelling, and I lost that banana within seconds. The next morning, I got up and chopped up a banana in my cereal without thinking. An instant repeat. Just one day my body decided it would become allergic to bananas. I ate a piece of banana bread a couple of months later, and my allergy was confirmed. The feeling of your throat swelling up is a feeling you won't soon forget. The funny part was, while the rest of the swelling subsided quickly, the inside of my cheeks stayed puffed up for several hours. Every so often I would be talking, and bite my cheek..... My wife thought it was frigging hilarious!! <_<

Neither myself nor my sister ever had ANY alergies growing up. When my sis turned 27, she became allergic to darned near everything. After a couple of trips to the ER with her throat sweeled near shut, they did the grid on her skin. She is now allergic to: carrots, most nuts, iceburg lettuce, and about 100 other things. The list keeps getting longer too. It seems to me that once she completely avoided any contact with all of the allergy foods, her sensitivity went way up. She carries an epi-pen in her purse nowadays, and had to use it on the way to the ER.

I stall can and do eat everything.