Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sig 320 case rupture

kellymc

Took out a friends first new pistol the other day and had these 3 case ruptures in the first 20 rounds. Yes they were hand loads. I've loaded many thousands of rounds and have never had one single powder issue. The load was 4.1 n320 OAL1.125 -1.128 with a 124 gr MG bullet. I won't be able examine the chamber support and drop test the unused ammo in the barrel till tonight. Wondering what the cause might have been. I believe 137.64 PF

post-31047-0-71412900-1401805752_thumb.j

You can see the ridge in the cases where the barrel support ends. Looks pretty clearly like all three of those went off out of battery somehow. Nearly 3/8" or so... If you can look at the gun again I would check the timing and make sure the disconnector function is working properly. Hold the slide back a little and see if you can still drop the striker. See how far back you can go while doing so. If you are able to, the gun may have to go back to Sig.

Edited by EngineerEli

I didn't get to remove the barrel last night and see if my rounds were to long but I doubt they were. But I did cock the pistol and pull the slide back almost 3/8 of a inch and felt the striker drop and push the slide forward when trigger was pulled. Never did feel any brass or powder when the cases split just a small pain at the base of my trigger finger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...