Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm vs 380 auto

cwmax2000

Since I have so much 380 auto cases, I went and bought a Walter PK380. Now I need to load a new caliber....I started looking at spec and realized that a 380 auto is basically a light 9mm bullet, is this correct? My father had bought some 100 grain 9mm Hornady bullets years ago, Can I use them for 380 auto?

Thanks Cmax

Use the same dies as 9MM.

REALLY, cool.....that will save some bucks....i didn't think of that...

Yeah, thought it was too good to be true....just spoke w/ RCBS... can not use 9mm dies for 380.......bummer

Can't use the same shellholder/baseplate either. Already been down that road, is a really pain come time to prime the case. The 9mm and 380auto have different rim sizes too. The 380auto uses the same shell holder/base plate as the .223rem and .38 super comp (not confused with 38 super).

Use the same dies as 9MM.

REALLY, cool.....that will save some bucks....i didn't think of that...

Yeah, thought it was too good to be true....just spoke w/ RCBS... can not use 9mm dies for 380.......bummer

It won't work with RCBS but I've done it for years with 9MM Pacific dies, with no ill effects, even though it is a straight wall case. Had to grind the bottom off the crimp die. Been so long I had forgotten that.