Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlanta Arms & Ammo Alternatives

ES13Raven

I want to get into reloading soon, but in the meantime I have been shooting Atlanta Arms & Ammo 9mm 147gr 130pf.

It has been very reliable for me, but I'm paying about 35¢ a round for it.

Are there any other companies that offer competition / match ammo that is loaded to minor & major?

I know a guy who shoots federal american eagle 124's exclusively and seems to always do just fine at major match chrono's. I'm sure the 147's would be fine as well but you should try some first. Not sure it would be any cheaper unless you find a good deal on it.

You really don't need to pay exotic prices for perceived exotic ammo. Even Atlanta arms has famously failed to make minor for some major players. There is a lot of hype involved.

You can check out freedom munitions as well. I'm sure it's cheaper than AA&A.

Until you start reloading your own all you really need is dependable, fairly accurate, ammo that makes PF.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/2036.htm $264 per k

Edited by Sarge

And out of the few hundred rounds of Freedom Munitions I have shot (115g RN), I found a number of rounds where the bullet was loose/slid back into the case and some that were underpowered (not a squib but way lower speeds than the average).

And out of the few hundred rounds of Freedom Munitions I have shot (115g RN), I found a number of rounds where the bullet was loose/slid back into the case and some that were underpowered (not a squib but way lower speeds than the average).

I've shot a fair amount of Freedom Munitions in 9 and 40. The 9 was fine but there were a couple of boxes of 40 with poor crimp and scary setback when feeding but no kaboom.

Overall I was happy with the ammo but IMO its worth checking a few rounds from each box for this problem.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk