Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt CRP 18 questions

RWatts

I have been trying to encourage my wife to shoot a little three gun with me, So I bought her a call CRP 18. I'm having a little trouble getting it to shoot well. I have tried HPR with 55 grai hornady VMAX, HPR 75 grain BTHP , 55 grain sierra blitz kings, and 55 grain FMJ's. The best group I got was probably an inch and a half at a hundred yards but most of them are hovering around 2 to 2 1/4 inches. I am no Pro Shooter but I am capable of shooting 1/2 MOA pretty consistently. My rifle is a Daniel defense V7 that I've done a little work to and it consistently shoots one half MOA with every ammo I feed it. So I was curious if you guys have any suggestions? I have not tried to adjust the gas block, but was under the impression this is more about making the rifle run smooth and about felt recoil, is that accurate? This is my first post so be gentle, and thanks in advance for the replies.

Edited by RWatts

Each Colt Competition Rifle is test fired at the factory, and there should be a card with the rifle that shows the group fired.

I would suggest you tune the gas system per the included instructions...

Mick

I guess your owners manual is a little different than mine. There is no mention of how to properly adjust the gas block, or how a person might adjust it to get the best results with a given ammo..

The gas block will have nothing to do with accuracy you can fire the rifle with the gas shut off and run the rifle manually with no effect on accuracy. Your rifle has a 1 in 8 twist so it should shoot all those rounds no problem. I honestly would try to remove user error by using some type of lead sled or similar benchrest shooting device. Once you've done this it's time to send back the rifle to colt and have them look over the barrel and comp and make sure there is not a problem. I would also look at what type of target you are shooting at. I have a reticle with a 2 moa center circle, when I shoot at a 1 moa orange dot my reticle covers it and I can't really tell where I'm aiming at each time and my accuracy really suffers. I now shoot at a minimum 2 moa circle that way my reticle fills it up and I know if i see any orange that I need to center the reticle better. I literaly go from about 1-2 moa to 1/2 moa with just a target change. Anyway best of luck. Since this is your first post be warned Enos has three types of posters, those who know what they're talking about, those who don't know what they're talking about and those who think 700 posts of not knowing what they're talking about means they know what they're talking about. 1 in 3 ain't bad I guess.

The gas block adjustment instructions should be on a separate sheet that is with your accessory pack. There should also be the test target showing group size at 100 yards that specifies the type of ammunition used.

Colt Competition guarantees groups of 1" or less at 100 yards.

What does your test target show?

Try the same or similar ammunition to what the rifle was tested with, and has already been suggested, try to remove yourself from the equation.

If the rifle still won't group, call Colt Competition and use the Warranty...

Mick

Mark, you are correct there was a sample target supplied with the rifle. And it probably was about 1 MOA. It had to tucked up together and then morning but I would call a flyer but it was still probably only about an inch in size. I have been looking for the target because I know I wouldn't have thrown it out, but at the moment have no idea where it is. I will continue to try different ammo and if that doesn't work I will try a sled or something. I have 3 bolt guns and 1 other gas gun I can all shoot sub MOA without a sled so I'm not sure why this one would require other treatment, but it's worth a shot. The optic and mount are a vortex razor 1-6 in the vortex (American Defence) mount. Thanks for the suggestions.

Harmonics are a fickle mistress. I have a Colt pro in .308. Regular hornady tap ammo shot great, used some supermatch that was hotter, had crazy 4 inch groupings. Tried a few different ammos and it's currently a 1/2 moa gun. Knowing a little insider info on the Colt competition guns, I can tell you the barrel they use is more than solid. Find your load and you'll be great. It's 3 gun. Sub moa is more than enough. 55gr hornady steel match is affordable and used by many. Happy shooting!

I have the same rifle and scope combo and mine has shot all ammo I have tried under 1". It shoots the fiocchi 62 grn unde 1/2". Hope you get it figured out it really is a great rifle

Update: I had a chance to load up some 65 g sierras and I had a 5 shot group that measured .632. I will try some 62's and 69's just to see if they all shoot. And then get as many of them as I can,if anyone has a few of hornadys 65 hpbt and you would sell me a few to try let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions....