Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOOM, look what just came in.

Which gas block?

Looks like SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block. They are nice.

Very nice piece but I had to send mine back. They use milspec spacing for the gas port (.295") so if your barrel uses something shorter than that, Nordic 18" Wylde for example at .270", it won't work for you.

Which gas block?

Very nice piece but I had to send mine back. They use milspec spacing for the gas port (.295") so if your barrel uses something shorter than that, Nordic 18" Wylde for example at .270", it won't work for you.

That is the barrel I have it on. It has been working very well for me. What is not supposed to work about it?

Which gas block?

That is the barrel I have it on. It has been working very well for me. What is not supposed to work about it?

The gas port on the Nordic barrel is 0.270" from the shoulder. The gas port on the Sentry block is 0.295" from the edge of the block. Even if you seat the block fully against the shoulder of the barrel you're still clipping part of the port off. That may have worked out to be a non-issue depending on the ammo and weather but I didn't want to take any chances since we shoot in weather that can be in the 30's and the last thing I want to have happen is run out of gas because my ports weren't aligned. The Syrac Gen II uses a click detent system as well, I'm hoping they've chosen to space their port closer to the edge.

Which gas block?

The gas port on the Nordic barrel is 0.270" from the shoulder. The gas port on the Sentry block is 0.295" from the edge of the block. Even if you seat the block fully against the shoulder of the barrel you're still clipping part of the port off. That may have worked out to be a non-issue depending on the ammo and weather but I didn't want to take any chances since we shoot in weather that can be in the 30's and the last thing I want to have happen is run out of gas because my ports weren't aligned. The Syrac Gen II uses a click detent system as well, I'm hoping they've chosen to space their port closer to the edge.

I think I am about 7 or 8 clicks out from zero. I think the Sentry has like 12 clicks and it did surprise me that I had to do out that far to get it to function. Nonetheless I am within the operating range with plenty of adjustment in ether direction so I am happy with it.

Depending on the size of the hole in the gas block (which may be at .125" dia)......you would not be cutting off anything. .125-.089 = .036, .036/2 = .018 offset allowed

And this........a little trick I learned way back was to put a .015 to .020 chamfer on the gas hole in the barrel.....so if you would have any misalignment.....you will still have full gas going up into the gas block.

I've also put .015" of feeler gauge between the barrel shoulder and gas block to make sure everything is centered as well......when it's been the other way....mainly on Mil Spec barrels

Depending on the size of the hole in the gas block (which may be at .125" dia)......you would not be cutting off anything. .125-.089 = .036, .036/2 = .018 offset allowed

I was hoping for that myself but the near edge of the gas port from the shoulder of the barrel is .225" and the near edge of the gas port from the edge of the block is .236". The Sentry block is a thing of beauty and I really wanted it to work. I must have measured everything 6 times hoping for different results.

Turns out Syrac spaces their port (near edge) .210" from the edge of the block on the Gen II's, plenty of space for adjustment.

Edited by mngunguy

Just measured my SLR Sentry SA7. Gas port begins 0.215" from the edge of the gas block....

Mick

Either your caliper is off or you measured incorrectly. I measured .236" and Todd Gardner, owner of SLR, confirmed it was .235", or .295" from the center of the port which is .12" wide

Edit: He did mention having 3 production runs of the SA7 block. Maybe he changed to milspec (.295") along the way. Dunno.

Edited by mngunguy

All I know is that mine worked

The first time on my Nordic 18" Wylde without any issues. They have great satisfaction policy as well. As far as I read before ordering mine, if you don't like it for any reason then send it back for a refund. Can't be any more simple than that.

I used the tail of my caliper to get a depth measurement and I will admit to eyeballing where the hole started, so it is possible the gas hole began at 0.235" on mine as well.

However, there is no way it was 0.295".

Mick

Just measured my SLR Sentry SA7. Gas port begins 0.215" from the edge of the gas block....

Mick

Either your caliper is off or you measured incorrectly. I measured .236" and Todd Gardner, owner of SLR, confirmed it was .235", or .295" from the center of the port which is .12" wide

Edit: He did mention having 3 production runs of the SA7 block. Maybe he changed to milspec (.295") along the way. Dunno.