Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback on AR build. From cool guy tactical to 3gun

Kwontanamo

As the title implied, I would like some feed back on my rifle build so that I don't place myself at a disadvantage.

UPPER

Optic: Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24mm

Barrel: 14.5 mid-length w/ 1/7 twist. Mil spec

Comp: Battle Comp. 1.5. Pinned and welded to the barrel for legal purposes

Rail: Troy industries TRX battle rail 9"

System: Adams arms piston kit, one of their first versions with the rail on the gas block.

The lower I have with it runs like a champ. I've never gone to a 3gun match so I don't now what's common for starters.

You'll be fine with that setup though it isn't "ideal". I just ran my stag ar15 a glock and an 870 for the first year until I started learning what I liked and what others were using. You may find in the future there are more effective comps out there than the battle comp and a pinned and welded barrel makes switching it out a pain. I didn't see you mention your trigger so you may see some others from jp or geisselle that you like out there. You may find in the future your buying a rifle from JP enterprises or a stag 3G, a modified striker fire pistol or sti 2011 and a modified benelli m2, slp or versamax. Save up for those items and do it right the first time. Cry once.

You start shooting 3gun with what you have.

If you decide to build an AR for 3 gun, wait a while to find out what would work best for the matches you attend.

in general, 3gun AR builds go similar to this

18" or 20" barrel

rifle length gas system

Effective comp

Fixed length stock

gas impingement system, not piston system

rifle or longer length handguard 12-15"

Any AR will do, but if you build one specifically for 3gun, you need to know what to buy that will allow for accuracy and fast follow up shots.

Randy

Only 2 things that stand out to me are the battle comp ( by the way after many people have tested the battle comp , it does not work as an effective comp ) With a much cheaper comp like the miculek or the new Taccom compensator , you'd be much better off. Sell that battle comp and you'll have enough money left over for either of those 2 .

And i echo the gas impingement system not the adams. Wich should be just as easy as changing to a normal BCG , gas block and gas tube.

Other then that , there's no reason not to use the system you have . More and more people are going to shorter lighter barrels. The 18" or 20" barrel isn't necessary , unless you want to squeak out that much more velocity out of your round. I'm running a 16.5" voodoo ultra light with rifle length gas and it does the job very well. Even mid length gas is fine with some tweaking of the recoil system.

I use an adjustable stock , and switched from the fixed recently . I don't find a benefit to one or the other apart from the adjustability of the non fixed.

As for hand guard length, i like the longer hand guard like most so i can move my hand further down and have more control over pointing the muzzle.

Other great comps if you want to spend a little more are the seekins atac brake and the dynamic resistance comp

If you already have it built - run with it. If you 'wait till it's right' before you show up at a match you may never get to play... damn bastards keep coming out with new gear all the time that is better/cooler/go faster than what I have now. :)

i've pretty much been convinced and going to go with a new set up. I do need to sell my existing upper but don't have 50 posts to be able to put it in the classified section. Here's the link for it on gunbroker if anyone knows someone interested in a complete upper http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=418547736

Note***

No charging handle and i'm keeping my optic

Edited by Kwontanamo

Use what you have for the first couple matches. I have spent too much money on things that got replaced by the next match. 3 gun is an expensive sport to keep up with the Jones's

Good advice here

Use what you have for the first couple matches. I have spent too much money on things that got replaced by the next match. 3 gun is an expensive sport to keep up with the Jones's

Don't sell it, shoot it!

This!!! Go shoot some and see what you need. I have so much gear I bought only to never use because I found out after getting to the range that there was something better. And any advantage a purpose built rifle is going to bring will most likely be negated by your "newness" to the sport.

Run what you have until it holds you back in a big way.