Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter make ready with M9A1?

whip

Hey Guys,

Quick question: My buddy lost his rear sight on his SS 1911 and has to use my home defense blaster (my toy that I bought because I always wanted one) for a steel shoot this Sunday (and maybe an USPSA match next Sunday). When making ready, can he start out in single action or does he have to start out in double?

I shoot 2011's and have no clue about the double action side of the sport.

Per USPSA Rules. 8.5.2.2 Double Action pistols must be hammer "down" (Not cocked in Single) since the 92fs pistol set in Single action has no safety engaged or available .

Not sure if that applies....note he says "steel shoot"....pretty sure you are quoting USPSA rules and not steel challenge rules...But I don't know SC...so....

Well, my buddy ended up dropping by Tussey Customs and sat with Terry and got him to install a new rear sight while he waited; so no need run the Beretta.

I appreciate the reponses and, since I had brought it in the bag for him to try out (I didn't know he got hooked up by Terry) we decided to practice with it using the rule you noted above. BRUTAL. Note to self, "Self, never ever use my Beretta as a backup!" Haha.

Though your rule quotation didn't mentioned it, we practiced with the safety engaged at shooter make ready. At make ready, we would jack a round in, drop the hammer via the decocker, and leave it down (so it was safety on). We did this because our 1911/2011's have to have the safety on, so we made the assumption that the Beretta had to have its safety applied. At the tone, we would draw, release the safety (by flipping it up which was brutal), then acquire the target, and manage that double action trigger pull. It was not enjoyable.

Anyway, I appreciate the help and knowledge I learned a thing or two. Thanks.

I should add that he was going to use it in a man on man steel shoot on Sunday and an USPSA match next Sunday.

I haven't a clue what the shooter make ready is for the steel shoot, but my assumption is that it would mirror USPSA as it is looking like most the classes are the same.

Steel Challenge adopts some of the USPSA rules. Centerfire guns should be starting from a holster, in which case you should not be throwing a single action gun into a holster without the thumb safety applied. Considering the 92's thumb safety turns it into double action, unless you've got one of the cool guy models, this doesn't really apply to you.

The usual question is generally "hammer down safety off or hammer down safety on?" in which case per USPSA rules it does not matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't matter which game, or if in real life. It is not safe to holster a "cocked and unlocked" gun. DA guns need to have the hammer down. Manual safety, like the Beretta's, does not need to be applied when decocked and in the holster.