Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fitting an SVI grip to an STI

blaster113

I've been wanting a steel grip for my STI Limited gun. Currently leaning toward the SV Enhanced Ergonomics stainless grip for STI frames. Im probably going to have the gun's builder fit the grip, but anyone know what is involved with fitting one of these?

Do STI mags work without issue? I have a set of tuned mags plus 7 regular ones so I dont want to have to buy all new mags if possible. How about Dawson magwells, do they work also?

The mag issue may steer me back to the PT grip.

I fit the SV stainless grip to my Edge by covering the inside of the grip with a black magic marker, doing a careful and gentle trial fit, then filing the grip where it was shiny. A little at a time. Recover with marker and repeat. All of my STI mags fit without issue and I have both Taran and Dawson base pads. Be aware that the SV steel grip is heavy.

No problem with STI mags and Dawson pads in the SV stainless grip on my Edge. Not sure about the Dawson magwell. I've got the SV magwell. It appears to be the same size dimensionally. You're welcome to take it for a test drive at the next match if you like.

I love how the steel Enhanced Ergonomics grip feels in the hand and like the extra weight lower in the grip. Seems like I shoot heavier guns faster and that my meager A class skills cant drive light guns like the more skilled guys can. Anyone know if a new grip safety has to be fitted with an SV grip or can I use my existing grip safety.

I was under the impression that you HAVE to use the SV magwell and grip safety.

I think that would depend on the grip you use, I'm sure if you use the signature grip you need their grip saftey since its so cut in