Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open glock recoil spring weight

jimbullet

I thought to check with other open glock pistol users as to what recoil spring weight are you using for major pf?

Appreciate that the weight of the recoil spring will depend mostly on the load and the number of ports of the comp but I just wanted to get an idea as to what is commonly used.

I have a 3 port comp with side ports, using ammo with a pf of 168. So far I have tried the OEM glock 17 recoil spring which from what I have read is supposed to be around 17lbs. So far it cycles.

I intend to use a stainless steel guide rod and purchase a suitable recoil spring.

Using 14 lbs- does it feel like it's slamming the slide rearwards heavily? I have just used the stock recoil spring and at PF 168 it felt like its really pushing the slide rearwards.

What PF is your ammo running at when using 14 lb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't feel like it's slamming either. I run 8.0 grn of hs6 and a 124 jhp. I tried a 15 and a 17 lb spring and had ejection problems at times when the gun got dirty. If I bump it up it works but feels the same. Mine is a 22 with a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm so it's more temperamental. I have lightning cuts in it too.

At 11 lbs it would cycle using normal factory rounds so I would think while it is possible to use 11 lbs, the pistol will take heavy beating and I suspect a higher recoil spring weight may be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 15 lbs spring. For major I shoot a 124gr MG with 8.3 grs HS6 and for minor I shoot a 147gr BB with 4.8grs Longshot. I use a 15 lbs spring for both. No feeding or ejection problems.

This is with a carver mount?? Carver comp and what barrel?

• 4 weeks later...